Heater Blower Motor - 2 speed

Heater Blower Motor - 2 speed

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Guys I'm having a little trouble here...

For a heater blower motor, on 72-75 CJ5, my original one is a two speed (Hi / Low) with 3 wires (Hi, Low, and ground) coming out of the motor.

All the ones I see are 2 wires only. Some (Like the Omix ADA one) Say they are a two speed motor, but only have the two wires and appear (from the photo) to spin either direction depending on wire polarity.

Anyone successfully purchase a new blower motor with Hi & low speed for these jeeps?

Example of what I am finding: http://www.eadoffroad.com/omix-ada-17904.01-jeep-cj-72-77-heater-blower-motor-(2-speed)

8127021-500x500.jpg

:chug:

~ Jr

JR, have you considered the Blazer heater motor upgrade for the CJs? For your rig it might require a bit more wire work though.

You have 3 choices rebuild, upgrade or other.
No exact replacements available.

Rebuild & install.
For a upgrade S-10 you have to drill, grind & wedge next to glove box.
Other (Mojave etc..) Route everything.

You can put a rheostat or a fixed resistor in line with the + wire to control speed but you are right the O.A. motor is not capable or two speeds on its own. I have thought of replacing mine with something other than an O.A. but I have not found anything suitable that runs in the right direction.

The factory motor has a resistor built in, If you check ohms from ground to high and ground to low the difference in resistance should be pretty close to what you need to use for a low speed. Is your fan motor on the inside or on the outside of the fire wall?
:cool:

IO has the same idea I had. I'm running a 30watt heating element in my smoker through a rheostat for sometimes nine hours at a stretch with no trouble. I'd much rather have a rheostat delivering full heater speed range than a simple 2-speed.

I had a heater in my '80 CJ7 but took out the whole works. Here at 30 degrees North the AMC304 provides all the heat I ever need. Sometimes more than that!

Likely the ground runs through the motor shell, in the '75 you'll need to run an extra wire to the body.

Thanks all.

This is for my Uncles 72. I'll pass along t he info to him and we'll see where he wants to go.

That low speed really comes in handy for us here in CA. Sometimes it's cold in the morning and you really want it to kick in on high, but then it gets too hot quick. The low lets you keep the warm air pumping without burning you up.

I haven't looked into the blazer heater upgrade in a few years (since first joining the site a while back), rebuilding the motor doesn't seem like it would be out of the question, and wiring in a variable resistor may also be a good option...

:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks