Headache Rack

Headache Rack

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I built a Headache Rack (a rear window guard for my pickup). CJ was asking about it so here it is:
headacherack82Medium_zps055af5a0.jpg
As you can see I also made rails with double bars as support so tie downs wouldn't slide on the rail.
I welded it up with my Millermatic 211
headacherack79Medium_zps3416b321.jpg
I then had it powder coated. I don't think you can tell from the pics but I got a textured black.
headacherack84Medium_zps39f978cb.jpg
Next I need to apply a bed liner to the truck. I've already started to prep it.
It's been a busy spring.

Looks good Dave! That should keep the firewood from bustin' out the back window! ;)

I am impressed.:cool:

Did you cut all that with a hack saw??:eek:

Have you started working on the new front bumper and winch mount??:D

Did you cut all that with a hack saw??:eek:
I bought a chop saw.
ChopSaw_zps038edc96.jpg
It worked great but it can only cut one angle. When I had to cut square tubing with a double-angle joint (as in the above pic) I would measure the 2nd angle as how many inches to the side the end should be. For example I would set the chop saw to cut a 23° angle and then raise the end of the bar thinking it would also need to go forward 3 inches. I'm sure I didn't make any sense but the short answer is: no, I didn't use a hack saw. :D

I understand and you do what ever works.

I have a preference for a band saw It is slower but quieter does not throw sparks everywhere and I think a bit more versatile. mostly quieter.:cool:

I bought a chop saw.
ChopSaw_zps038edc96.jpg
It worked great but it can only cut one angle. When I had to cut square tubing with a double-angle joint (as in the above pic) I would measure the 2nd angle as how many inches to the side the end should be. For example I would set the chop saw to cut a 23° angle and then raise the end of the bar thinking it would also need to go forward 3 inches. I'm sure I didn't make any sense but the short answer is: no, I didn't use a hack saw. :D

I have a preference for a band saw
I also have a preference for a band saw. :drool:
My wallet has a preference for a hack saw. :(
I did a compromise and went for the chop saw. :D

Dave, you must have some carpentry experience, looks like the way a carpenter would go at it. ( I are one :D)

No
No real experience as a carpenter. I've worked with wood but not a whole lot.

did you use some form of CAD??:D

did you use some form of CAD??:D
No CAD. I just drew it out on paper. Hindsight is 20/20 so there are a couple of things I would have done differently but overall I'm happy with it.
At first I was thinking of just using expanded metal or some other vented plate. That would have been the easy route. Then I decided to use tubular bars at the same angle as the side of the cab. I decided to make a "window" where my rear view mirror lines up. I used flat steel for visibility but interconnected the bars for strength. Before building the rack I drove around with electrical tape on my rear window to verify where my field of view was.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom