Headache Rack

Headache Rack

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I built a Headache Rack (a rear window guard for my pickup). CJ was asking about it so here it is:
headacherack82Medium_zps055af5a0.jpg
As you can see I also made rails with double bars as support so tie downs wouldn't slide on the rail.
I welded it up with my Millermatic 211
headacherack79Medium_zps3416b321.jpg
I then had it powder coated. I don't think you can tell from the pics but I got a textured black.
headacherack84Medium_zps39f978cb.jpg
Next I need to apply a bed liner to the truck. I've already started to prep it.
It's been a busy spring.

Looks good Dave! That should keep the firewood from bustin' out the back window! ;)

I am impressed.:cool:

Did you cut all that with a hack saw??:eek:

Have you started working on the new front bumper and winch mount??:D

Did you cut all that with a hack saw??:eek:
I bought a chop saw.
ChopSaw_zps038edc96.jpg
It worked great but it can only cut one angle. When I had to cut square tubing with a double-angle joint (as in the above pic) I would measure the 2nd angle as how many inches to the side the end should be. For example I would set the chop saw to cut a 23° angle and then raise the end of the bar thinking it would also need to go forward 3 inches. I'm sure I didn't make any sense but the short answer is: no, I didn't use a hack saw. :D

I understand and you do what ever works.

I have a preference for a band saw It is slower but quieter does not throw sparks everywhere and I think a bit more versatile. mostly quieter.:cool:

I bought a chop saw.
ChopSaw_zps038edc96.jpg
It worked great but it can only cut one angle. When I had to cut square tubing with a double-angle joint (as in the above pic) I would measure the 2nd angle as how many inches to the side the end should be. For example I would set the chop saw to cut a 23° angle and then raise the end of the bar thinking it would also need to go forward 3 inches. I'm sure I didn't make any sense but the short answer is: no, I didn't use a hack saw. :D

I have a preference for a band saw
I also have a preference for a band saw. :drool:
My wallet has a preference for a hack saw. :(
I did a compromise and went for the chop saw. :D

Dave, you must have some carpentry experience, looks like the way a carpenter would go at it. ( I are one :D)

No
No real experience as a carpenter. I've worked with wood but not a whole lot.

did you use some form of CAD??:D

did you use some form of CAD??:D
No CAD. I just drew it out on paper. Hindsight is 20/20 so there are a couple of things I would have done differently but overall I'm happy with it.
At first I was thinking of just using expanded metal or some other vented plate. That would have been the easy route. Then I decided to use tubular bars at the same angle as the side of the cab. I decided to make a "window" where my rear view mirror lines up. I used flat steel for visibility but interconnected the bars for strength. Before building the rack I drove around with electrical tape on my rear window to verify where my field of view was.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks