Hardtop fit at windshield

Hardtop fit at windshield

Jefffro

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
I have 2 project Jeeps. One is a 1970 Cj5. It has a Buick odd fire 225ci. I've installed an SM420 4 speed using a Novak adapter. I've also rebuilt the dash & installed a AMC Eagle tilt steering column. D27 up front, D44 in rear. Dana 18 transfer case, single stick. It also has an overdrive.

The other is an M38A1 (currently not running). It also has a Buick odd fire, 3 speed original trans, Dana 18 transfer case. And I'm not sure of the differentials. I also have extra parts, differentials, fenders grill, hood.
I acquired a Meyers hardtop for my 1970 CJ5 & it doesn't match up at the windshield. The top protrudes past the windshield by about 1 1/2". and the top of the windshield contour is wrong. My 70 is straight across. The hardtop is curved. Any recommendations as to what I should do? Do I have the right windshield frame? Is it easy enough to replace the windshield frame with another year to get the correct fit? I would like to try that before I start cutting the hardtop. Thanks to anyone out there who might read this & have any suggestions.

I acquired a Meyers hardtop for my 1970 CJ5 & it doesn't match up at the windshield. The top protrudes past the windshield by about 1 1/2". and the top of the windshield contour is wrong. My 70 is straight across. The hardtop is curved. Any recommendations as to what I should do? Do I have the right windshield frame? Is it easy enough to replace the windshield frame with another year to get the correct fit? I would like to try that before I start cutting the hardtop. Thanks to anyone out there who might read this & have any suggestions.

:)
Sounds like you have the wrong year top or windshield frame?............the split for windshield frames and tops was 1976........your 1970 should have a slightly curved top rail and almost straight vertical side rails. The later top and windshield frame is narrower at the side rails as they go up and the top rail is more curved. Also the windshield angle on the later top is greater.........and in most cases the first thing that doesn't fit is the doors.

Where are the wipers and motor located?

Not all of these tops are a perfect fit.........the fact that you say yours extends beyond the top windshield frame by 1.5" may be that you already have a later frame on your Jeep that has the greater angle.........or sometimes the gasket is so worn out it allows the frame to move back.

Pictures of what you have would solve this in a minute.

:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks