Hand cabinet

Hand cabinet

ZaCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ-7, 258, T-18, Dana 20, Dana 30
Can anyone tell me what kind and/or how big of a bench sand blasting cabinet I need in order to be able to take care of the small to medium size items that will need significant cleaning? I've spent my share of hours with a wire wheel on my last project and I'm not doing that anymore... EVER.

As for the cabinet, I was going to get something from harbor freight or craigslist. What other items do I need to be able to use the bench cabinet for sand blasting?

Thanks yall!

my uncle restores 1955 thru 1957 chevys back to original
his cabinet is 34 long X 22 deep X 28 high
probably from northern tool or eastwood

40 Lb. Capacity Floor Blast Cabinet

I have had this cabinet for a couple of years now. Works great with Sand and other media. It came with a variety of different nozzles for different applications that have a pretty good lifespan. I have changed out sand twice and only used one nozzle up.

Words of advice on a cabinet, invest in a good shop vac for dust removal. Set it up to where you can put the shop vac outside, Silica dust is not good for you and you will find it better to run it without the filter for clogging issues. You can overcome this by using other media, but for me sand is King for cleaning and repainting.

Get an additional water trap/filter for the front of the cabinet; water is not good for media blasting.

Make sure you have enough air to run whatever you decide on, you can slap burn up a compressor in a few hours of sand blasting.

Other than that, good luck and enjoy! you wont regret the purchase.:chug:

A REALLY BIG AIR COMPRESSOR!!

Blasting takes a lot of air volume, I would not think anything less than 10 or 15 CFM would be more than underwhelming.:D

Ouch. That's a bummer. My compressor is pretty small. It's just the 2.5HP, 21 gallon, 4.2CFM model from HF. :(

Y'all think it's not even worth trying to run the blast cabinet with it?

If you only plan on blasting for 30 second bursts every 2 or 3 minutes?:D

See if you can find a model number on it and look up the specs for it if you didn't get the paperwork with it. We might be wrong, but most blast cabinets need at least a 220V sized air compressor. I have a 60gal Ingersol Rand that comes on every five minutes or so when I'm using my cabinet.

Stays on constantly when using the 100lb pressurized pot blaster. I had to stop and let it catch up every 15-20 mins for 5 hours of blasting on my frame and other big stuff.

All B.S. aside, a sand blaster takes A LOT OF AIR. If shopping for a compressor, get one that takes oil and will make the most air you can afford. I'm not trying to make assumptions, just making observations from running the equipment myself. Bigger is definately better on air compressors.:chug:

Before you go spend $800-1200 on a new compressor, give it a whirl. If you take your time and don't plan on getting in a hurry, it might suffice.

Don't push the machine too hard or you will be without one at all!:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom