Great CJ Speaker Alternative

Great CJ Speaker Alternative

ndscrambler

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ8
Hey All,

Just wanted to pass along a great speaker upgrade for those not wanting to cut the dash on your CJ.

Polk Audio Dxi 460P are marine-grade 4x6 "plate" speakers that can fit flush behind the stock grills on the CJ dash. Because the tweeter is separate from the "woofer" (small), and both are flush to the plate, you can install flat against the inside of the dash with no need for spacers or other sound-killing mods.

And, because the plate is plastic, I was able to drill the appropriate holes so that the stock studs on the dash fit perfectly. One note, you have to mount the speakers "upside down" so that the tweeter is on the bottom so it's in the stock grill area. The woofer ends up partly behind the dash, but this doesn't affect bass, in fact, it probably improves it.

With my Alpine deck and no amp, I'm very surprised at the sound quality these speakers produce all on their own. Definitely a big improvement over the 5 1/4 circulars I had in before that had to be "backed off" the dash with spacers/washers for tweeter clearance.

Anyway, this is something to look into if you're thinking about a stereo upgrade but don't want to get too exotic. Although I didn't want to cut my dash, I also think these rectangular speakers would look awesome mounted on top as well. I may go that route if I add an amp and more speakers to my Scrambler. For now, I'm very happy with the "stock" look and "not-stock" sound.

Cool, thanks for the update. I'm not to that stage yet but when I am I'll be taking a look at those speakers. Do you have any pics of them installed?

I have to look into those. I bought some off brand marine speakers that size and they sounded weak and one blew out within a month or so. So now I have one crappy speaker playing.:D

I should have spent the money the first time around and went with a better brand.

no pics..sorry..but..since i installed behind the dash, you can't really see them anyway. Should have done the "install" series, but unfortunately, i did not

Update -- all is well with these speakers -- even after long stretches of motorhead, metallica, etc.

Thats encouraging. Upgrade to Slayer and report back. :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks