good price for a tilt steering column / fitment?

good price for a tilt steering column / fitment?

smbundy13

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 258 I6, SR4, D300. Power steering, power brakes. Stock axles stock susp. Gentle rehab in progress.
I am looking for a tilt column for my '80 CJ7. I have found a guy off of the full size jeep forum that has a tilt, floor shift unit in good shape. the column is $125 but the shipping to me brings it to $400 total.

so, questions are, what is a good price for a tilt column? and, will a tilt column out of a full-size jeep slide right in to my CJ7?

thanks.

so, questions are, what is a good price for a tilt column?

That all depends on how badly you want one, where you are, etc. I would love to have one, but can't bring myself to pay what they go for around here - they are quite few and far between. The 125 I'd pay.... but I'm too cheap to go 400.

and, will a tilt column out of a full-size jeep slide right in to my CJ7?

I'm gonna take a stab at this one, and since I'm the first to respond, I get the pleasure of being corrected LOL.

I believe the FSJ columns will drop in - they look identical. Also, other GM columns of similar vintage will also fit. Do you have a pick n pull nearby?

That all depends on how badly you want one, where you are, etc. I would love to have one, but can't bring myself to pay what they go for around here - they are quite few and far between. The 125 I'd pay.... but I'm too cheap to go 400.

I'm gonna take a stab at this one, and since I'm the first to respond, I get the pleasure of being corrected LOL.

I believe the FSJ columns will drop in - they look identical. Also, other GM columns of similar vintage will also fit. Do you have a pick n pull nearby?

I do have a pull-a-part close to me.. i am re-thinking this for now.. a little tight on funds so i will probably hold off.. might hit the pull-a-part next weekend.. I have found a thread that details the columns that will work with this? are all of the GM floor shift columns compatible? obviously the older saginaw columns.. i am curious if all those columns are the same length and will drop in.

I’d have to go back and find it, but there is a thread or two that will tell you which ones are compatible and I do believe those are drop ins

Sent from my gas grille using Tapatalk

I used an XJ tilt column. ($50 at the pick n pull)

Manual is good, but auto column is fine too. The XJ autos don't have the gear selector on the column so no worries there.

Whole swap was under $125 with new key lock, turn signal switch (wheel was off for new key so might as well put in new turn signal switch) and black paint. Nice leather steering wheel came with the column as well although the CJ wheel bolts right up.

The XL column has a "bell" on the end where it bolts up to the XJ firewall. Just cut it off, and the column itself bolts right in.

The XJ column has a double D end, the CJ has a spline'd end. So I picked up a YJ upper intermediate shaft as it has the double D top (too cheap to get a new intermediate shaft) and used the upper YJ shaft and the lower CJ intermediate shaft. Works fine.

Moved the floor bright lights connector to the one on the column and have bright switch on the column now.

Electrical is plug n play (turn signals etc.)

Just have to spring for a new key lock ($15)

If you want to get a little crazy you can do a little connector wiring and adapt the wipers on the column switch to the CJ wipers.

$275 In shipping?
I got mine shipped for about $75 with the steering wheel on it, but it was only about a 500 mile trip.

Thanks very much for the info. I am going to try to go to a pick and pull this coming weekend.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks