Gaps with 304 HEI

Gaps with 304 HEI

Colorado Yeti

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 Jeep CJ7 Renegade - Levi's Edition. 304 V-8, T-18 granny 4-speed. 38k miles. All original except 4-barrel intake & dual exhaust.
Well, the original Prestolite ignition finally crapped out in my 40k 1976 CJ7 Renegade. I replaced it with a new HEI unti from Southwest Performance. Great upgrade and runs smooth as silk. I would think that I could extend the gap on my plugs since I have a lot more voltage. I was going to push them out to 0.050. Anybody have any expert knowledge on this? I am aware that this will shorten cap & rotor life but I may put 1000 miles on it a year, mostly off road, so I really don't care about this issue. I hope everyone is keeping safe!

Attachments

• IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 19
Originally gm set gap at .080 with hei resulting in burned caps and rotors. They backed it off to .060 and still had problems with component life. The final answer was .040-.045.
The performance sweet spot seems to be .050-.055.
Quality performance caps and rotors will mitigate damage caused by larger gaps.

Nice Jeep BTW

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks