Fuel vapor can, vacuum system questions

Fuel vapor can, vacuum system questions

hollasboy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ5 I-6, 258
So here's what I'm dealing with...

Rear port on engine manifold has no hose connected - occasionally sprays oil spittle onto the firewall.
Hose from windshield washer bottle goes to vapor can.
I have an open port on my carb air filter (which I'm pretty sure is not the original carb - way too shiny) - assume this is for one of the vapor hoses?
Largest hose coming off vapor can is dangling loose, not attached to anything.

Can't find a direct replacement for any of these components. I'm considering using a like part for the vapor can and trying to put all this back together, but is it worth messing with all this? Are these open ports a problem? Or if I plug them up, will I create other problems?

Still can't figure out how in the heck to get pics attached...I think I successfully uploaded a few to my profile.

So here's what I'm dealing with...

Rear port on engine manifold has no hose connected - occasionally sprays oil spittle onto the firewall.
Do you mean rear port on the valve cover? It's the only thing that could spittle oil. This port needs to be vented through the air filter housing or buy a filter cap and stick it onto.

Hose from windshield washer bottle goes to vapor can.
It doesn't belong there, remove it.

I have an open port on my carb air filter (which I'm pretty sure is not the original carb - way too shiny) - assume this is for one of the vapor hoses?
Its a webber carb and filter housing, the port on the air filter housing goes to the rear port on the valve cover.

Largest hose coming off vapor can is dangling loose, not attached to anything.
This should connect to the T fitting at the PVC valve found on the front of the valve cover.

Can't find a direct replacement for any of these components. I'm considering using a like part for the vapor can and trying to put all this back together, but is it worth messing with all this? Are these open ports a problem? Or if I plug them up, will I create other problems?

Still can't figure out how in the heck to get pics attached...I think I successfully uploaded a few to my profile.
At this time your sucking in unfiltered air into your crankcase so, yes you need some vacuum lines and some you don't depending on your state laws. Personally, I only have three vacuum lines on my engine.

You need to study your engine's vacuum routing to understand what you need and don't need. Maybe someone here can post a vacuum diagram for you. I would recommend purchasing a factory service manual (FSM).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks