Fuel Tank / Fuel Line Question

Fuel Tank / Fuel Line Question

jacksjeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'57 CJ5
Hi all,

I recently inherited a 1957 Jeep CJ5 from a fairly distant family member.
When he passed away, he had just finished replacing the fuel tank and was in the process of replacing the fuel pump.

Today, I bolted the fuel pump onto the engine block and connected the fuel lines.

I put a couple gallons of gas in the tank, but there is no gas making its way to the fuel lines. I unthreaded the fuel line going into the bottom of the tank, expected gas to pour out, but theres nothing.

What should I do?

Thank you for your responses!

Best,
Jack

Did you prime the fuel line itself? I just replaced the tank and lines on my CJ7 a few weeks ago and before starting the engine I used a syringe to fill the line up at the pump end so the pump was not straining to suck air through the line from the gas tank to get the fuel. Mine started right up.

Did you prime the fuel line itself? I just replaced the tank and lines on my CJ7 a few weeks ago and before starting the engine I used a syringe to fill the line up at the pump end so the pump was not straining to suck air through the line from the gas tank to get the fuel. Mine started right up.

Thanks for the thought on priming the lines.

That doesn't address the fact that gas isn't coming out of the tank though.

The CJ5 tank has fittings on the bottom of the tank, so I would assume that gas would pour out of the fitting if there is no line attached, but nothing comes out???

Thanks for the thought on priming the lines.

That doesn't address the fact that gas isn't coming out of the tank though.

The CJ5 tank has fittings on the bottom of the tank, so I would assume that gas would pour out of the fitting if there is no line attached, but nothing comes out???

Check to make sure your vent line isn’t plugged. If you unplug the vent line or take your gas cap off, I would expect fuel to flow. If it doesn’t, there has to be a blockage in the fitting.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks