2008 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4
2018 Nissan Titan 4x4
1928 Chrysler
1950 Plymouth

Other jeeps...
1995 Jeep XJ Cherokee sold
1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ sold
1987 YJ Wrangler sold
I recently purchased a 1984 CJ7. 258 Inline 6, 4 speed manual transmission and am trying to sort out some randomly routed or missing plumbing & wiring.

Looking for some pictures of a stock correct 84 CJ7 engine compartment to see where everything is supposed to be and for advice on the best reference to purchase.

What is the fuel return line routing supposed to look like?
I'm talking about the connection from the fuel filter to the long hard line at frame
The picture is the line that was laying in there but it doesn't seem to have any obvious path.

I also have a bunch of missing vacuum lines and wires, nothing attached to the air cleaner housing for example but multiple places for connections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Cleg.

Attachments

• 20191104_065449.jpg
    20191104_065449.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 78
The fuel filter has a second 1/4" outlet that should be routed down to the DS frame that returns to the fuel tank - look near your clutch linkage.
Check the line on the frame is clear before hooking it up.
The filter should be rotated so the small outlet line is on top.

Most everyone here recommends moving the filter away from the current location do to drips/fire hazard over the exhaust manifold.
I ran mine over the top of the valve cover, keeping it mostly on the PS of the engine

As for the rest of the vacuum lines, unless all the other emissions stuff is still there or you need it to pass smog, just cap or plug them.

The clip at the lower side of the steel line bolts to the block low down. The steel tube runs up and over the intake then uses a hose to connect to the fuel filter. The long hose in your pic then connects to the steel return line to the tank.

The FSM for 84-86 CJ's is on line in a few places, won't have pics, but will have diagrams. Can't find the new link to "adventures under the hood" has waht all the stuff is with pics and where it hooks up to. Maybe some one else has the link.

Found the site, this will help as much if not more for electrical/vac as the FSM.Table of Contents

Are you going to "Nutter" (remove computer, bring back to pre 83 no emissions stuff) ?

Attachments

• 20191027_122238.jpg
    20191027_122238.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Thank you Yellow85CJ.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
I hadn't tried routing the formed steel line vertically down the side of the engine.

Thanks also for the tip on the FSM and the link.

I like the idea of removing the computer and whatever else I can to simplify the engine bay.
We have no emissions testing here in Tennessee yet to worry about.

Do you think I would I need to use a pre-1983 carburetor to eliminate the computer or could the Carter C2-BBD be tuned to run without it ?

Cleg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks