Front parking light turn signal help needed

Front parking light turn signal help needed

1amaloney

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7, 304
Hi all,
I have what I hope is an easy problem that someone out there can help me solve. I have a new to me 79 CJ7 w/ a 304, I've been going through it cleaning rust and replacing warn parts, I started checking lights and found an issue that I need some help with. When all lights are off the front parking lights work when I activate the turn signals but when I turn on the lights and activate the turn signals, they just barely work. Is this normal? I mean I really need to look close to see the flasher working, do I have some kind grounding issue or wire disconnected somewhere? The wiring is a mess it's been spliced and respliced, so this is the start of my next adventure.....

To sum it up;
a. all light functions work front and rear except
b. when lights are turned on the front parking light blinkers are very very dim but working

Thanks in advance for any help,
Andy

Solution
Hi all,
Thanks to for the responses, as I mentioned in my follow up post these are aftermarket lights from Crown(2) and Omix(1 just to see if it was different - it wasn't) and as I found on another forum they can be wired wrong and guess what all three of the ones I ordered we're wired incorrectly!! So be aware at least for my 79 CJ7 I had to flip the wires on the lights for them to work correctly. So no ground issue just an aftermarket issue.

Now on to ripping out this old AC system.....

Thanks,
Andy
:welcome:

And also welcome to the wonderful world of CJ wiring issues. I'd say 99% of lighting issues are grounding problems. Your problem is common and is usually the grounds

. (Link)-> Search results for query: front turn issues -<

Thanks CJ for the response, I've cleaned parking lights/mounting points and put in new screws and just in case because these are aftermarket replacements from Crown Auto, I replaced the light bulbs... Still no change I can see the light blinking but it's just not very bright, you really have to look close to see the flash so they are working just not very well.

Any other ground locations I need to check or possible other wires?

Thanks,
Andy

Quick and easy check to see if grounding is your problem. Grab your jumper cables. Hook the black lead to the battery negative. Hook the other black lead to the grill or frame area of the jeep. Make sure it is an unpainted part of the vehicle. The hood latch is usually a good place. Turn on the lights and see if it solves your problem. You can also go from the battery neg to the dash for grounding issues there.

possible dash headlight switch going bad
Thanks Armyvet - I have one on order.
Quick and easy check to see if grounding is your problem. Grab your jumper cables. Hook the black lead to the battery negative. Hook the other black lead to the grill or frame area of the jeep. Make sure it is an unpainted part of the vehicle. The hood latch is usually a good place. Turn on the lights and see if it solves your problem. You can also go from the battery neg to the dash for grounding issues there.
Thanks toesnthewind - I'll give it a try.

20231023_212155.jpg
Here's a pic from the FSM of the wiring. The grill markers and side markers share a ground. It's some really crappy engineering.

Hi all,
Thanks to for the responses, as I mentioned in my follow up post these are aftermarket lights from Crown(2) and Omix(1 just to see if it was different - it wasn't) and as I found on another forum they can be wired wrong and guess what all three of the ones I ordered we're wired incorrectly!! So be aware at least for my 79 CJ7 I had to flip the wires on the lights for them to work correctly. So no ground issue just an aftermarket issue.

Now on to ripping out this old AC system.....

Thanks,
Andy

Solution
Glad to hear you got it figured out!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks