Front Axle Snap Ring

Front Axle Snap Ring

Neuner

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
"Oscar":1985 CJ7, 4.0 '98 OBDII, T177, RE 4.5" lift w/ CV Jnts, Dana 300, Dana 30 and AMC 20, 33" BFG KO2s, Raptor Lined Interior and Rustoleum BBQ exterior.
PO left out way too many parts when re-building my Jeep. Went to look at the front wheel bearings and found that the axle snap ring has been missing. How badly is this part needed? I can't find it at any local store and don't want to pay $6 to have it shipped.

Disclaimer: I am just a shade tree mechanic (of that), so anything I say could well be completely wrong.

A guy I was talking to the other day about some lockout hubs said that the axle snap ring was only 100% essential on the very very old models, and that even my '66 would probably be ok without one. But I am going to try to find one anyway, as I have an uneducated theory/supposition that not having it is what broke my hub in the first place.

If you take the snap ring off the other side in for measurement, I would think that about any decent auto or farm equipment parts store ought to be able to match you up one that will work ok.

Found an assortment of rings locally at up to 1-1/4". Anyone happen to know the size required?

Snap rings are fairly easy to find, most automotive stores have an assortment, even ACE probably has what you need. You don't have to be all that accurate and I'm at work so I can't get a quick measurement right now, but close counts and they are inexpensive. Probably less than a dollar.

You might not need one, but they are there for a reason. I had one pop off my Trooper. The axle shaft backed out and I ground the end off the axle drive shaft and had to replace it. The Jeep isn't set up in the same way as the trooper, but why risk it. After all even spending $6.00 on a snap ring is cheaper than $100 on a new axle drive shaft. Seems like a penny wise and a dollar foolish way of thinking to me.

A word of advice, you will notice that the axle drive shaft is hollow, if you look you'll see that it is threaded. When installing the snap ring the shaft usually will move in and you can't get the ring on. Thread a bolt into the shaft and pull the shaft out to get to the snap ring slot.

By-the-way, you shouldn't have ANY parts left over after working on any vehicle, that's bad. A $0.05 part can easily end up costing thousands in repairs.

Snap rings are fairly easy to find, most automotive stores have an assortment.

By-the-way, you shouldn't have ANY parts left over after working on any vehicle, that's bad. A $0.05 part can easily end up costing thousands in repairs.

None of the auto stores, ACE nor Tractor Supply stores around me have ANY type of assortment. Found a few at Northern Tool. Was hoping to stop by at lunch but wasn't able to so I could wrap this up tonight. Will be able to measure though when I get home.

I don't think my PO read your statement or had parts left over, they just lost them and decided they weren't needed.

BTW, got some new aluminum wheels and I'm up to avg 17.5mpg.

Any machine shop will have them, a dial caliper will give you the thickness.
The stub shaft should be around 1.15"

As hedge said you have to pull the axle out a little to get the snap ring on. What that does is pulls the axle flange up tight against the seal that keeps water and junk out of the spindle bearing. So yes you should have it on there.
I'll try to measure one of my Dana 30 axles later to see what size it is.

I got 1.060 at the bottom of the groove and .090 wide. I believe the snap ring is only .060 wide though.
Posi gave you the OD of the axle.

Last edited:
What that does is pulls the axle flange up tight against the seal that keeps water and junk out of the spindle bearing. So yes you should have it on there.

Thanks for the measurements, I appreciate it. *looks to be a 1-1/16" clip.

The labels on the locking hub were removed but it looks like an older Superwinch. I studied how it operated and the engaging spline slides onto the axle past the snap ring groove. I think one of the PO removed the snap rings on purpose for this reason.

I'm going to look at it some more. The recommendation of a machine shop is a good idea.

Ahhhhh, Missed the PO reference, that explains a whole lot.

I am surprised that nobody has an assortment of snap rings in your area. I usually find them at Autozone or O'rielly, even at Pep Boys in their assorted parts section with all those yellow drawers. NAPA most certainly will have some and about any farm supply as well. PM me your address I'll send you a couple that I have laying around the garage.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks