Front and rear gears 85 cj

Front and rear gears 85 cj

Postal13

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7, 350 chevy, headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650, sm 465 trans 205 t-case 12.50x 35 x15 BFG mud SOA lift, D30, AMC 20 w/locker and 1 piece axles, front winch bumper/ custom built rear bumper, after market gauges, Black Mountain seats. 1950's jeep chassis with a Postal Jeep body, SOA weld up lockers.
ISO 3:37 or 4:10 Gears for my 85 CJ 7, I have not figured out how to post in the want adds so any help would be great.

Try Rock Auto. I got my USA Standard gears from them several years ago, and they are still running strong. They don't come in the gear ratios you specified, but there are several ratios to choose from that are close. $140 to $250 price range per axle. I'm not positive, but I believe that USA Standard gears are made by Yukon.

Look at any ratio between 4:10-4:56.
You would do well to look for rear axle upgrade.
LG

I was thinking that but using the Gear, tire, MPH calculator from Randy's ring and pinion, my best gearing was 373 to maintain a descent highway cruising rpm. But at this point I am still tossing it around, this build will be an all around Jeep.

I have not looked at Rock Auto as of yet but I have been looking at Amazon, and they are pretty cheap and it's the G2 gears.

What size tires will you be running? What transmission and transfer case? How will you be using your jeep?

Here's a great calculator for comparing different setups:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350 Chevy, SM 265/205 and the use will vary from trail to mudding and street driving.

Large tires + Healthy engine + mud = Broken axles. Running mud is all about wheel spin. And running in deep mud, is all about running big tires. The stock Dana 30 front end isn't going to last long with big tires spinning in mud. You would be better off upgrading to a Dana 44 or Ford 9", if you plan on running 35"+ tires. The rear AMC20 can be built up, but in the end (and after a lot of $$$$), you'll be wishing you had a Ford 9" or Dana 60 back there. JMHO.

I would also consider running a different transmission. TH400 or other beefy automatic. Again, if you're planning on running serious mud. JMO.

That being said, and looking at your build, I'd be thinking 4.56 turning those 35" tires.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks