Freeze plug sensor removal

Freeze plug sensor removal

Jcminto

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'77 CJ5 - 4.2L I6, T18,
Dana 44 rear, 30 front,
Good day all, in a jam. Still trying to finish my 77 before the snow flies, (its lightly snowing right now....)

I just added the Mojave heater core, plumbing looks good, blower works, pictures to come,

I wanted to add a block heater while I was at it, my block has 3 freeze plugs all drivers side. the only real accessible one in the rear one which appears to have a temp sensor, two questions...

do I require this sensor? its not hooked to anything, and if not how the heck do I get it out?

I should mention that the post that the sensor used to plug into is broken off, so its NS already.

as always, any help is much appreciated.

I decided to install the heater pretty much center mass, eventually I will make a complete dash with to round vents that rotate and are directional,

I designed up a quick airbox to "grab" some of the heated air and direct it to the defrost vents, here is the beginning of this adventure along with many others.

Attachments

• heater print.jpg
    heater print.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 48
  • heater print install test.jpg
    heater print install test.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 58
  • heater print install test2.jpg
    heater print install test2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 47
That's not a sensor it's a block heater.

To get it out I used a screwdriver and tapped on one side until I got it moving then pulled it out. Mine was pretty so it broke apart on removal. Make sure you clean out the machined surface well or you will have a leak.

I'm guessing yours is rusted as well.

Pic - not sure this will post it was in my photobucket

IMG_27021_zps1glblyoh.png

Last edited:
Block heater with a single wire 16Awg'ish plunger connection? looks like it goes back to something in the old harness, its purple with white stripe. I thought I once heard mention of a temp sender unit sometimes installed back their for the choke or something?

Either way, tried tapping with a flat head, then tried "tapping" it with a 4 foot steel bar, deformed that lug on it, didn't even budge the plug...

Attachments

• RearPlugWire1.jpg
    RearPlugWire1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 46
When I remove soft plugs, I hammer with a punch on either side of the plug and try to get it to rotate. Then pry it out with a screwdriver.

The other two are just normal plugs, I punched out the front one, pulled the steering pump and placed the block heater their, not ideal but all I could do.

Time is Limited for me as it is, and my other car just died, so the jeep has gone from fun project, to might just be my daily driver....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks