Build Thread Frankensteined 72 Build

Build Thread Frankensteined 72 Build
Wow. You've got your hands full with that one. Sure looks like a '76 and up CJ5 to me. Wider springs, boxed frame, Dana 30 and AMC20 give it away.
Not sure where the '59 comes from, except the Willys ID plate riveted on there.

You'll get lots of help on this site. Just ask and the good folks will help out.

20240229_135230.jpg

20240229_135343.jpg

20240304_090344.jpg

20240304_090355.jpg

The "custom" tub mount spots are what make me think it's not a 70's frame, also the transmission mount is far too wide for the frame.

My best guess is the PO had a 59 CJ, found out the engine was trashed and the body was beyond repair. Bought a 76 powertrain (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, and axles) and a 76 fiberglass body set up. The more discussion and research on this project, I think it's a 76 for everything but the frame.

By the pictures, it sure looks like you have a '76 and up CJ5. Furthermore, from the low-rise front shock mounts you have, it looks like pre-'80+/-, because they were a high-rise shock mount starting in '80 or so.
Me thinks those angle iron tub mounts are only to accommodate the glass body. The original body mounts are likely beneath those angles.
Early Jeep frames aren't that wide, and the leaf springs are narrower too, on both front and rear.
You have the wider '76 and up frame with the matching wider leaf springs and the matching front and rear axle housings. Original boxed frame channels too. Also, looks like the original power steering box is in it's original location. Early Jeeps didn't have this type of steering either.
I'd say it's a '76-'79 CJ5 with a replacement glass body, because the original body rusted out.

Here's one of ours in our boneyard that fits that category exactly...
Dozier CJ5.jpg

By the pictures, it sure looks like you have a '76 and up CJ5. Furthermore, from the low-rise front shock mounts you have, it looks like pre-'80+/-, because they were a high-rise shock mount starting in '80 or so.
Me thinks those angle iron tub mounts are only to accommodate the glass body. The original body mounts are likely beneath those angles.
Early Jeep frames aren't that wide, and the leaf springs are narrower too, on both front and rear.
You have the wider '76 and up frame with the matching wider leaf springs and the matching front and rear axle housings. Original boxed frame channels too. Also, looks like the original power steering box is in it's original location. Early Jeeps didn't have this type of steering either.
I'd say it's a '76-'79 CJ5 with a replacement glass body, because the original body rusted out.

Here's one of ours in our boneyard that fits that category exactly...
View attachment 100780

This is correct. Definitely a 76-79 frame with all the drivetrain of that era. Could possibly be an 80 or 81 frame but they came with different transmission and transfer cases so more likely the 76-79. The shock tower change came in 82 with the advent of the wide trac axles.

Last edited:
20240304_124148.jpg

So did the transmission mount plate connect to brackets that were welded on the frame like the body?

20240304_124313.jpg

Are these re-welded then? Or is bubble gum welding factory?

20240304_124327.jpg

Googling 1976 CJ5 Frame, looks nothing like what I've got. Did they cut a bunch of mounting plates off?

The skid plate bolted directly into the frame. Those brackets and body mounts look like add one to me

So got a little work done last night in dropping the gas tank. I noticed the rear portion of the frame, on both sides, is rusted out. Should I just weld in some patches? Or completely replace the rear portion with some kits from a place like rustbuster.com?

1000004126.jpg

1000004128.jpg

PO decided to weld the bumper to the frame, and per his usual it's absolutely godawful welding

1000004129.jpg

1000004130.jpg

Is there a way to pull the exhaust pipe out without cutting it?

1000004131.jpg

That tailpipe is another custom made piece. The regular routing of the stock exhaust is from the muffler toward the axle tube where it bends up and over the tube and exits out the rear drivers side corner of the tub. Never saw one take the long way over top the differential like that.

That tailpipe is another custom made piece. The regular routing of the stock exhaust is from the muffler toward the axle tube where it bends up and over the tube and exits out the rear drivers side corner of the tub. Never saw one take the long way over top the differential like that.
I disconnected the exhaust, and spent 30 min trying to maneuver it out, I think it is "stock" exhaust. I should've mentioned that.

Ah ok its just out of position. Most of mine have had a replacement tailpipe that you unbolt an exhaust clamp and they come out pretty easy. Looks like yours is either welded or one piece considering I dont see a clamp. Most likely have to cut considering where you can actually detach it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks