Ford T18 gears in Cj T18

Ford T18 gears in Cj T18
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5, 350, T18, D20, full width Dana 44 & 14 bolt w/ 5.13's. Leaf springs for the win.
Can it be done? I have found a Ford T18 for $100. I have a Close ratio 4.02:1 1st and would like the 6.32:1. I am aiming for a really low 1st year for crawling. I don't want to switch over to a Dana 300 to get the extra 4.0:1 vs the Dana 20 3.15:1. The cost of the Dana 300, adapter plate and gears make that not a financially sound swap if I keep my T18.

I suppose I could keep my eye out for a Wide ratio Jeep T18/300 combo but those come up for sale rarely and they are worth their weight in gold. As you all should know.

Not sure about your first question, but if I remember correctly, I thought all Dana 20 transfer cases were 2:1. You could get the Tera-low gears to make it 4:1.

I could be mistaken though...laying in a hospital bed all drugged up and stuff...good times.

I'm currently working on (well, going to get back to work on...when I'm done healing) a 351w swap in my 76. Engine is a short block right now...waiting to out on heads and intake, etc. I'll be backing it with a Ford T18 and adapter plate for my current Dana 20. I'll be putting in the Tera-low 4:1 kit as well.

If you call Novak Conversions, they'll be able to answer this question for you very quickly. They're very knowledgeable and their staff is top notch.

Sent via Google translate using braille through Tapatalk

Not sure about your first question, but if I remember correctly, I thought all Dana 20 transfer cases were 2:1. You could get the Tera-low gears to make it 4:1.

The Dana 20 stock is 2.02:1 and only has 3.15:1 gear set available. The Dana 300 has the 4:1 gear set available.

I thought I saw somewhere that the internals were compatible.

I'm running 5.13 in the axles. So I could get as low as 102:1 if I could swap out the gears on the transmission.

Last edited:
No on the Ford T18 and most wide ratio T18s the gears won’t mesh. However the Jeep pickups and Wagons before 1980, with a 258 and a T-18, used the same input shaft length, engine adapter and bellhousing. So, if you found one of the FSJ trans, you could take the input shaft, cluster gear and main shaft gears and replace the gears in your trans to get the wide ratios.

How about a 2.46 Dana 20? All you need is a bronco sliding gear and D18 gears. I have all the parts needed and will upgrade my Dana 20 sometime this winter. A friend gave me the bronco gear and I already had the D18 gears so most it will cost is a gasket kit and possibly bearings. Much less then the $500 or more for the 3.15 kit.

Edit: be careful with the D18 gears needed for the Dana 20 swap some sites on the internet have the incorrect gear numbers listed.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks