For the longest time I swore I would never install Vista...

For the longest time I swore I would never install Vista...

CJ

Admin
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
For the longest time I swore I would never install Vista... (you know where this is going) :D

Well, I broke down and gave it a whirl. I have run it before but it was inside of VMware - a less then ideal way to test it, so I had some idea of it's capabilities but - I was not prepared to - dare I say it? Like it!

I installed Ultimate 64 (a fresh install) and I couldn't believe that Winders found all of my hardware without any difficulties - even my scanner and my raid! I have never been able to load an OS without having to BS around with the raid drivers until now!

Also, having access to all 8 gigs of ram is sweet. I set my swap size to zero (not recommended) and have had no problems so far. I was even able to play Crysis without any difficulties.

The only problem I have had so far is a converting a video file from a Blueray rip (.m2ts) to .mts. I'm having a fit with Java... :(

Now, only bad thing is that x64 will not let you load anything that needs unsigned drivers (though I think I have read about work a rounds), so if you have to have that one ancient piece of hardware running - stick with XP - Dual boot is great!

Also, good hardware is a must!

What's Vista? ;) :D

I don't have any Microsoft anything on either of my computers. :banana:

What's Vista? ;) :D

I don't have any Microsoft anything on either of my computers. :banana:
LOL - I'm a UNix / Linux fanboy at heart but my CAD / CAM software only runs on Winders... I have to sleep with the devil sometimes!

Whatcha using for CAD software? AutoCAD? Solidworks? Anyone still use ProE? (think that was the name of it...)

You better be carful with vista not only does it use a lot off ram, unless you have a top notch processor you wont beable to load much else on the computer spy ware and like a virus protection. It will crash the computer if the processor can't handle it, vista uses a lot of capacity.

You better be carful with vista not only does it use a lot off ram, unless you have a top notch processor you wont beable to load much else on the computer spy ware and like a virus protection. It will crash the computer if the processor can't handle it, vista uses a lot of capacity.
Oh - I'm probably OK when it comes to processor and ram. Intel QX9650 / EVGA 780i / 2x2GB Geil 1066 ram OCed to 4.2 GHZ and tested using Stress CPU for 24hrs. (Old picture of water cooling on my DFI board)

[tr250=188]http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/1/nvidea.jpg[/tr250]

[tl250=188]http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/1/water.jpg[/tl250]

I'm experimenting with Vista for the first time. I'll take any tips and tricks to make it run good on this cheap (new) computer.

I like Vista... it was a pain installing new drivers for my printers and such, but I don't mind it at all....

I'm experimenting with Vista for the first time. I'll take any tips and tricks to make it run good on this cheap (new) computer.
Vista can be quit a resource hog. How much ram do you have? What about a video card?

The first thing I did is disable UAC (User Access Control). I didn't want nor did I need Vista asking me every time I clicked on something if I was 'sure'!

Whatcha using for CAD software? AutoCAD? Solidworks? Anyone still use ProE? (think that was the name of it...)
WOW - Missed this post...

I use ProE every day! Have for about 11 years or so... I also use Unigraphics, Delcam and even sometimes have to pop into CADDS5 for some of our legacy data...

BTW - ProE is still very popular but damn hard to learn. It is getting better though. It's so damn powerful that it is tough to figure out...

OK now I'm upset. Just spent $30 for the RS232 cable to hook up my new scanner to the new computer, and there is no serial port on this thing! AGGHH. Now I have to program the scanner using the old computer...Oh the HoRRoR! LOL

OK now I'm upset. Just spent $30 for the RS232 cable to hook up my new scanner to the new computer, and there is no serial port on this thing! AGGHH. Now I have to program the scanner using the old computer...Oh the HoRRoR! LOL
A new scanner that has or is not USB? Weird!

What kind of computer? Did you build it? It most likely has a motherboard plug for a RS232 port.

Muah? build it?? surely you jest!
Its just a Wally-World special Emachine
Intel Dual core 2.0 GHz
2 GB ram
320 GB HD
WIN Vista Premium
DVD+RW
and came with a 19" flat screen for $420 out the door. Blew the last of my bonus on it.

the scanner is an older design Uniden Bearcat TT. Has a serial port on the back to remote operate and program.

I guess come payday I will have to go get the RS232/USB adapter so I can program this without having to go to the other computer (on the far side of my desk...) LOL

BTW - ProE is still very popular but damn hard to learn. It is getting better though. It's so damn powerful that it is tough to figure out...

I never learned but that's what I had heard. For a while there, my employer had a revolving door for engineers. As soon as they'd learn ProE, they'd be qualified to work somewhere else (read: somewhere with better pay and bennies).

Ahh - Scanner as in radio waves in the air type and not the make a copy of a page type...

Don't feel alone. I was confused too.

Oh - I'm probably OK when it comes to processor and ram. Intel QX9650 / EVGA 780i / 2x2GB Geil 1066 ram OCed to 4.2 GHZ and tested using Stress CPU for 24hrs.

Nice rig!

On the OS side of things I am similar to yourself - mainyl running OS, but I also have dual boot for when i need linux!

Thanks for the compliment. Jut got the cooling block installed on a new GTX 280 EVGA video card this weekend... I'll post a pic of the new plumbing once I tidy it up a bit...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks