Filling differentials

Filling differentials

leftoflefty

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'77 CJ5 - 304 V8 - 3 spd manual trans
So I'm trying to fill my front and rear diffs today. I've got these tubes going into the top of the front diff and I'm wondering if I use this to put new oil in.
474cbeed-313f-5484.jpg

474cbeed-3150-11a7.jpg

I hope those pics went up right. Im posting from my phone That's the front.

474cbeed-3174-006b.jpg

That's the rear. That tube goes directly into the axle shaft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. '77 CJ 5 by the way. AMC20 rear and Dana 30 front

Nope. Those are the breather tubes.
There is a square recessed fill plug on the inside part of the pumpkin (towards the vehicle). Just fill it to the point fluid starts to come back out the hole.

Actually...the Dana 30 fill plug is at the front..my bad. The corp20 plug is on the inside.

The pic shows a ratchet removing (or tightening) the plug, Dana 30

ym0mqT4jVuI0EEVFM5j4lH1yc_nvnARc2arhMGjdR46Ei2070w.jpg

The ends of those breather tubes are mounted high for deep water crossings. Some guys will extend them and install a type of check valve to close up when it gets really deep. There should be some for the trans and t-case also.

Just fill up until it's starts to run out of the plug that you pulled. Put a towel or something down in case, as once it's full it starts pouring back out. You can stick your pinky in to guage it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks