Misc. Filler hose for 1980 CJ7

Misc. Filler hose for 1980 CJ7

DareToDream

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj7, 304 V8, 456 gears, 4 speed low transfer case
I have a 1980 CJ7 I just brought home and needs a few things to finish it up. It has a new fuel tank in it but needs filler hose and neck. He said it was the right tank for it, but the hole is 2” wide and the filler neck I ordered is less than an inch. The only tank I can find similar in searching online is a tank on a 1977 jeep truck.. can anyone help? Even the big jeep auto wrecker had no idea… thank you for any help!f2ec35f066c9b5599449ac760262a0ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct that the inlet line to the tank should not be 2" for that year/model with a stock 15-gallon tank. Sounds like you have a different tank than OEM. The stock tank has a 1" inlet line. Two possibilities I can think of. The '55-'77 CJ had a 15-gallon tank with a 2" inlet. This seems the more likely of what you may have since it would be easier to fit one of those in. Also the '62-'77 J series Jeep trucks with an 18-gallon side-fill tank had a 2" inlet line. Would take some work to get such a tank into the CJ, but anything's possible I guess. Here's a shot of the J-Series tank and the filler neck/hose that goes with it. Also a shot of the earlier CJ ('55-'77) with a 2" inlet on a 15-gallon tank. And last is the right tank for your year with the 1" inlet.

j-series_tank.jpgJ-Series_Filler_Neck.jpgEarly_CJ_tank.jpgNewer_CJ_Tank.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I have a 1980 CJ7 I just brought home and needs a few things to finish it up. It has a new fuel tank in it but needs filler hose and neck. He said it was the right tank for it, but the hole is 2” wide and the filler neck I ordered is less than an inch. The only tank I can find similar in searching online is a tank on a 1977 jeep truck.. can anyone help? Even the big jeep auto wrecker had no idea… thank you for any help!
Ayuh,..... I'm goin' through sorta the same thing right now,......

A couple of owners ago, a 15 gallon rear tank was installed, 'n it's now Junk, from rotten gas, rust, 'n a big dent, from not havin' a skid plate,.....
Anyways, Mines got the Big fill hose, which as best as I can tell from studin' parts lists, is it was used for the '70 to '75 span,......(or atleast my tank)
The one I took out has a 7" big spout, 'n a vent spout maybe 2 or 3" long,.....
That means the vent line needs to be put on the tank, Before the tank is slid into place, then the big fill hose is attached after it's in place, 'n the vent line then ties into the top of the big fill hose,....

The tank I've got commin' is the same tank, only with a 7" vent spout to match the 7" big fill spout,.....
It should make for an easier install, as both the hoses can be attached after the tank is in place,....
'n I'm gonna build my own skid plate outa aluminum plate,....

Back to Yer problem,...... Which fill neck did you get,..??
Can ya post a picture of it,..??

Amazingly, I just searched all of the parts suppliers I've found over the last week of searchin', 'n the oldest filler neck I find is for the '76 to '86, or newer,.....

Hii.. I found a manual for a 1977 and the last tank info in it (I think it’s for the truck if I remember) looks like mine.. I’ll post a picture of my tank and the picture from the manual too… thank you tho for your help! I appreciate that!

Hii.. I found a manual for a 1977 and the last tank info in it (I think it’s for the truck if I remember) looks like mine.. I’ll post a picture of my tank and the picture from the manual too… thank you tho for your help! I appreciate that!

Ayuh,..... That's the same tank I took outa my Jeep,.....

I've been crusin' various parts sites for stuff I need, 'n also started lookin' for a filler neck like you need,.....
I found None,..... Lotsa later model filler necks with 2 line hook ups, but no 2" 1 line hook ups,..... They gotta be out there, Somewhere,....

One thought I had was,...... I wonder if you could cut off the double necked down area, 'n use the shorter larger piece to attach to the fill hose,.....

Does yer vent hose attach to the fill hose like mine, like in yer diagrams,..??

And Bondo! Thank you for looking for me! My tank does have the separate vent hose. I probably have the wrong filler neck (filler hole is nowhere near 2”) but I’d really like to make it work without changing the tank in any way if possible..
Thanks again! Appreciate it!!

It’s definitely not the 1st photo.. it’s the second one I believe. Is that filler neck the one I need? Looks like it might be the one!!

Ayuh,..... There's gettin' to be a slew of pictures in this thread, 'n I have no idea what yer callin' the 1st, or 2nd photos,.....

My CJ5 has the set up like in the line drawings, where the vent line goes into the fill hose, up near the filler neck piece, which is the neck piece I can't find listed anywhere,....

Post a picture of the filler neck that you have,....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom