Fiberglass Tub. Nutserts for dash and fenders or?

Fiberglass Tub. Nutserts for dash and fenders or?

dsrt4

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
73 cj5
I have a fiberglass tun with no threaded provisions to mount fenders, hood and dash. What did you buys end up using to attach these? The obvious and easy choice would be to just rill holes and use Fender washers and nuts. I am wondering about using some sort of well nut or plusnut to facilitate in easy of removal of these parts if needed.

What did you guys with fiberglass tubs use when doing this?

I just went through a frame swap and when moving the tub picked up a new mounting kit from 4wd. In that kit came nuts attached to square plates for the bolts that connect the fenders to the tub. Nice idea, but the nuts pooped off most of them while tightening down. I was able to reach the nuts and hold them still while tightening the bolts. The hood just has bolts and fender washers. I did not remove the dash but it is just held on by bolts with washers and nuts as well. In fact years ago, I attempted to take it off and so many just spun that I quit to attack it another day.

Here is a nutsert on Amazon that says it will work with fiberglass. Amazon.com: Surebonder 8510 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, 10-32, 1/4-20 Threaded Insert Tool: Industrial & Scientific I've never used one, so I'm not sure how well it would hold. :eek: It also says it will work with thin metal. I'm going to guess it is like a rivet. Using a rivet would work too. Again, how well will it hold. If it were metal I would say go for it. Just not sure about the fiberglass. :rolleyes: If I were going to rivet it to the fiberglass body, I believe I would add a flat washer to the backside of the fiberglass that the rivet could grab ahold of. Most likely I would just take the time to bolt them together. ;)

:)
Never seen a Nutsert work for very long in a glass body.......the body moves way to much and the Nut will just brake loose.........If you look at the Corvettes they have a metal plate embedded into the Fiberglass......sometimes that plate also has a floating nut within........going straight through with a nut , bolt and large fender washers seems to be what works. Of course some form of rubber suspension at the mount is also necessary.......the hole in the body must be larger than the bolt size.........

Fenders can be treated the same way or glassed to the hood to make it a one piece front end or perhaps Huck riveted together.........most I have seen with glass bodies have tilt front ends.......

:D:D:D:D

For my dash I made a metal insert that goes under the window rail. I did this for two reasons. One was to have a tapped hole for the dash board bolts and two was to make sure the window support rail is solid and straight so the gasket doesn't leak. For the fenders on this project, the Kentrol body has embedded nuts. The shell valley tub om my CJ5 I just used washers and a nut and it has held up fine.

Here is a picture showing the front portion of the mount that is located under the window support. It is simply thick sheet metal that is bent 90 degrees and runs the whole width of the Jeep and tapped on the holes.

20150201_113931_zpsfuesguqp.png

For my dash I made a metal insert that goes under the window rail. I did this for two reasons. One was to have a tapped hole for the dash board bolts and two was to make sure the window support rail is solid and straight so the gasket doesn't leak. For the fenders on this project, the Kentrol body has embedded nuts. The shell valley tub om my CJ5 I just used washers and a nut and it has held up fine.

Here is a picture showing the front portion of the mount that is located under the window support. It is simply thick sheet metal that is bent 90 degrees and runs the whole width of the Jeep and tapped on the holes.

20150201_113931_zpsfuesguqp.png

Thanks Kane. Great idea. Did you extend this plate out to support the hinges as well or just the dash?

:)
Never seen a Nutsert work for very long in a glass body.......the body moves way to much and the Nut will just brake loose.........If you look at the Corvettes they have a metal plate embedded into the Fiberglass......sometimes that plate also has a floating nut within........going straight through with a nut , bolt and large fender washers seems to be what works. Of course some form of rubber suspension at the mount is also necessary.......the hole in the body must be larger than the bolt size.........

:D:D:D:D

THIS-
You must have some type of 'backing-plate'. Nut inserts are not the answer.
LG

Don't know about that. I'm trying some of the plus nuts right now and they look to work just fine without a backer.

I am testing 1/4 and 5/16 prebulbed right now and so far they look to be awesome.

They may actually be...the answer.

I hope they work after you been flex'n that body on the trails some.
I have seen many fail on trail runs. That was why I recommended backing plates to distribute the load and clamping stress.
It's the same reason you see plates molded into f'glass boat hulls at attachment points.
LG

Best of luck with the install. :chug:
Please post pictures when you can.
LG

Thanks Kane. Great idea. Did you extend this plate out to support the hinges as well or just the dash?
I made a different set of brackets for the hinges. They have bolts welded to them and they are fastened in place so they will not fall out if I remove the window frame.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks