factory build sheet

factory build sheet

1980CJ7jeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 Levi edition
I went to the local Jeep dealership today to try to get a build sheet. I am trying to find out what my jeep came with from the factory. The dealership couldn’t help me because my VIN# only had 13 numbers/letters. Does anyone know how to get the factory listing of my 1980CJ7. Thanks.

:xj:

I went to the local Jeep dealership today to try to get a build sheet. I am trying to find out what my jeep came with from the factory. The dealership couldn’t help me because my VIN# only had 13 numbers/letters. Does anyone know how to get the factory listing of my 1980CJ7. Thanks.

:xj:
The printout build sheet is for newer jeeps they tell you everything about your jeep including the type of axles and whether they have lockers or not. The best you can do with your CJ is the vin tag. It will tell you what engine, tranny, model, GVW, year, and what plant it was built at.

There is also a paint and trim code on the tag as well.

What about the build sheets for older jeeps, like my '74 CJ6?

Best you will probably get is a vin decode from a site like jeepfan.com. The early jeeps are not very fourth coming in details from the id tags. For things like original gearing you would have to look on the diff itself for a tag or numbers stamped on it then decode them. Since Kaiser and AMC are no longer around records are hard to come by. The new Jeep company doesn't seem to have any info on our era of jeeps.

1980 and prior used the old VIN format.
See posi response above, it applies to the 74 model year.
Originally, for CJ's, the build sheet was tucked/taped up into the springs/ cushion of the front passenger seat bottom. Doubtful one would find it there today.
And as a 13 year old kid wiping the protective wax coating off and washing/detailing the Jeep for display or delivery, I would have yanked it out of there and thrown it away. They got wet with no top installed anyway.
You're welcome for destroying a hundred or so build sheets.

1980 and prior used the old VIN format.
See posi response above, it applies to the 74 model year.
Originally, for CJ's, the build sheet was tucked/taped up into the springs/ cushion of the front passenger seat bottom. Doubtful one would find it there today.
And as a 13 year old kid wiping the protective wax coating off and washing/detailing the Jeep for display or delivery, I would have yanked it out of there and thrown it away. They got wet with no top installed anyway.
You're welcome for destroying a hundred or so build sheets.

I spit out my coffee at this one

Now I have to go check my seat springs.

VIN Numbers for 1962 to 1971 Jeep
Character 1st & 2nd 57 = Universal
81 = Universal CJ3b
83 = Universal CJ5
84 = Universal CJ6
85 = Universal DJ-6
86 = Universal DJ-6
87 = Jeepster C101 Chassis Code 3rd & 4th 01 = Convertible (Jeepster)
02 = Commando Convertible (Jeepster)
04 = Fire Engine
05 = Open Body
10 = Open Body (Universal Diesel)
22 = Tuxedo Park Park Mark IV
23 = Fire Truck (Universal)
34 = Open Body (Universal CJ3b)
54 = Open Body (Universal CJ5)
55 = Open Body (Universal CJ5 Diesel)
74 = Open Body (Universal CJ6)
75 = Open Body (Universal CJ6 Diesel) Body Style 5th A = V6-225
C = Canadian Built
F = Station Wagon (Jeepster)
H = Pick-up (Jeepster)
0 = Universal (Disregard)
0 = Roadster Open Body (Jeepster)
S = Smog (Universal)
8 = Universal Body Style – Special Model Code 6th 1 = Left Hand Drive
2 = Right Hand Drive
3 = LDH California, Fuel Evap Control Drive Code 7th 4 = F4-134 without Emission
5 = F4-134 with Emission
6 = V6-225 without Emission
7 = V6-225 with Emission Engine Code 8th – 13th ###### SSN
(Sequential Serial Number)

Also this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...46094739,d.amc

Read more: https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/cj-model-year-confirmation-27442/#ixzz5u06SIxwc

I worked for Jeep for 34 years and in 1986 I was in charge of the vehicle quality audit teams. My office in Toledo was in the Mather Spring Building just opposite the final inspection area in the main plant. At that time all the build sheets were on pink carbonless paper (the original would have been taped under the driver's seat). Those sheets were stored in file cabinets and boxes by build date in a back room in that old (1897) building. It was impossible to find info on a specific vehicle. I tried. I'm sure that when the plant was torn down in 2002 those records were probably destroyed.

I got mine in 1984 new right off the truck. Mine came witih a soft top and I don't even remember getting a build sheet. The only thing on the window ( back ) was the paper license stuck with tape which left permanent marks. There was sure nothing under the seat. Just saying.

I got mine in 1984 new right off the truck. Mine came witih a soft top and I don't even remember getting a build sheet. The only thing on the window ( back ) was the paper license stuck with tape which left permanent marks. There was sure nothing under the seat. Just saying.
They put the build sheet in different places depending upon the year, shift, whatever. They have been found under the rear carpet, under the back seat and under the passenger seat. Dennis Collins covers this really well in this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks