Extreme Custom Flat Fenders

Extreme Custom Flat Fenders

JeepCJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'81 CJ5 - 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Hey Guys,
This forum has been incredibly helpful with my CJ, so I thought I'd give back with a review of this flat fender kit from Extreme Custom Parts. Here's a link to the kit: CJ Tube Fender Conversion Kit CJ3 CJ5 CJ7 CJ8

I settled on this one for a couple of reasons: 1) it is pretty cheap 2) You can keep the inner fenderwell 3) It is a challenge for me.

Why did I want flat fenders? Back in the early 2000's I wanted tube fenders for my TJ, but back then, there were not very many options. Now there are a million. I love the stock fenders, but mine had pounds of bondo on them, so I don't feel too bad with this swap.

Here's a photo of the kit: fenders.jpg

If you take a look at the instructions on the website, they are very sparse. Pretty much "Cut Fenders, Tack weld new parts, Take fender off and finish weld, put back on."

The kit comes with 3 pieces of steel for each side: the bent tube, the side panel, and the top panel. I bought the 16 gauge (cheapest) option, but they have upgrades like 1/8" steel. The shipping was free, and it arrived in about a week.

Once I got past the first cut, fitting was relatively easy. It was mostly making small cuts at a time until I was happy with it. The tube and flat panel were both over sized a bit. For the top panel, I had to scribe along the top lip of the fender to get it to fit nicely. One small issue I had was that the bottom most hole on the fender side panels was not lined up and had to be enlarged. This was the case for both sides.

The only big-ish mistake I made was that before taking off the driver's side fender, I failed to tack weld a temp brace between the fenderwell and the side panel. Because of this, after I welded in a filler panel, one of the fender braces didn't line up and I had to drill a new hole. I did the other side right.

I also made a small front brace. I'm not in love with the silver, but I can always change the color down the road.

Here are a bunch of photos of the process:
fender1.jpg
fender3.jpg
fender4.jpg
fender5.jpg
fender6.jpg
fender7.jpg
fender8.jpg
fender9.jpg
fender10.jpg
fender11.jpg
fender12.jpg
fender13.jpg

fender14.jpg
fender15.jpg
fender18.jpg
fender16.jpg
fender17.jpg

Those are pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

something happened to my post so I will try this again. Very cool you did a great job they look great.Thanks for sharing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks