Engine temp hacks? Gauge broken, engine running HOT (maybe?)

Engine temp hacks? Gauge broken, engine running HOT (maybe?)

Jslampe

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7 258 5pd D300
I'm getting the sense that my engine is running FAR too hot. It’s my daily driver for the 4-mile hike into work and it the heat it produces is the point I can barely touch the hood to open it up.

The problem is, neither I or the PO could get the dashboard’s engine temp gauge to work. The wiring in this beast is a mess so I'm not overly surprised. I don't have the $$$ for a new wiring harness and any attempt at this point to fix the wiring will certainly create more harm than good.

BUT before I go down the checklist of what’s wrong / needs replaced with the cooling system, I’d like to make sure I’m not crazy.

Three quick questions:
1. Are there portable temp gauges that I could stick in the engine (where the sending point would go) and check the temp locally with the hood open instead of relying on the broken gauge in the dashboard?

2. Alternative: Would a surface temperature thermometer work? Where would I want to point this beast for the most accurate reading.

3. What temp ranges am I wanting (or not wanting to see)?

I’ll follow up with more information on the water pump and radiator situation either in this thread or a separate one.

If you have a surface Temp guage point it at the thermostat housing.
Be proactive
1.)If you are not in a close climate take the thermostat out.
2.)Trun the heater on with the fan on high and roll the windows down. Do not run ac.
3.) Make sure you have clean air flow to the radiator.

You can buy a cheap temperature gauge and tape it to your upper radiator hose.

Main thing is to check the water level when the vehical is cold, if you are running a 180+ thermostat in sure you have a good mix of antifreeze.

If you have a electric cooling fan insure its working.

Don
I'm getting the sense that my engine is running FAR too hot. It’s my daily driver for the 4-mile hike into work and it the heat it produces is the point I can barely touch the hood to open it up.

The problem is, neither I or the PO could get the dashboard’s engine temp gauge to work. The wiring in this beast is a mess so I'm not overly surprised. I don't have the $$$ for a new wiring harness and any attempt at this point to fix the wiring will certainly create more harm than good.

BUT before I go down the checklist of what’s wrong / needs replaced with the cooling system, I’d like to make sure I’m not crazy.

Three quick questions:
1. Are there portable temp gauges that I could stick in the engine (where the sending point would go) and check the temp locally with the hood open instead of relying on the broken gauge in the dashboard?

2. Alternative: Would a surface temperature thermometer work? Where would I want to point this beast for the most accurate reading.

3. What temp ranges am I wanting (or not wanting to see)?

I’ll follow up with more information on the water pump and radiator situation either in this thread or a separate one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Like LG said just buy a cheap temp gauge and install until you can get the other one fixed.

I put a $20 aftermarket gauge in mine. There was a spare pipe fitting on the block (258) which allowed me to compare the two readings.

In the coolant flow somewhere is best. Maybe sacrifice a heater hose by putting in a tee and a fitting for the new sensor?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks