Engine Engine solenoid?

Engine Engine solenoid?

socalleo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7 285
Hello, we are in possession of a 1985 CJ7. It has 4.2L I6 engine. Its been sitting for a long time and we are trying to get it going again. When trying to start the engine, we hear a loud screeching sound coming from the solenoid. We disconnected the solenoid and connected the battery directly to the starter. Nothing happened. We took the starter off, and discovered is was filled with gunk. We sprayed some WD-40 in it and we connected it to a battery and got it working again. We re installed the starter and tried to add power again, and nothing happened.

We then tried to turn the crank shaft manually. It turned counter clockwise about 6-8 times then seized and wouldn't move anymore. We then turned it clockwise about 3-5 times and locked up again. Any suggestions on what to do next?

IMG_2322.jpg

Pull all the spark plugs (label the wires so they stay in order) then put kroil down all the cylinders. Let it sit for a few days then repeat each time turning the engine by hand back and forth until it frees up and turns freely.

Then just put the plugs and wires back on and fire it up (it will smoke as it burns off the kroil) I did this to a 4.0 that was sitting open for 13+ years and got her freed up and running.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Tried posting a pic on the original thread but it looks like it didn't work

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2322.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2322.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 11
Forgive me as a I'm not a mechanic, how much of the kroil should i add into the cylinders?
If you get the aerosol can style 3-5 second's. I buy it by the gallon and put it in an old pump oil can style container. If you do that 3-4 good pump's

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Nice looking Jeep !

While the plugs are out and for a piece of mind run one of these down the holes. Believe it or not these cheap little things work pretty well. Plus, you can use it for other stuff around the haus.

Endoscope

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks