Engine seal

Engine seal

Scout1067

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift
I got up under my Jeep yesterday to do an oil change. First thing I noticed was the engine oil was about a quart low, it was good the last time I checked it right after Thanksgiving. When I got under it it looks like engine oil is dripping out of the bell housing. I first thought it was from the transmission but both that and transfer we're full when I checked.
My guess is blown rear main seal. The only way I know to check a main seal is drop the tranny and look. Is there another way to tell if I am right? I don't want to drop the tranny if I don't need to.
Here are some pictures of the underside.
I didn't think to get pics until I had wiped off the bottom of the bell housing but it had a drop on it, what we would have called a Class II leak in the army.
c1af378dd732656ad237896d3a548b8a.jpg
49d594c3b47323844a6ca08a594a3bcb.jpg
3029998690d23d51b01316c61d4eeb7f.jpg
393adae40c3577b77339f092595265ac.jpg
d11537a9df162aa506dc3a15ab3d14c4.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Have you made sure it's not coming from up above like the valve cover and running down the back of the engine?

^^^:agree:
Once you are certain that it's motor oil and not transmission oil, (looks like you already did) you should be able to pull the inspection cover off the bell housing and tell. If the inside of the bell is full of oil, and it's not coming from above, you are right. The rear main seal is leaking.

What weight oil? How many miles on the engine?
Check to be sure your PCV valve is clean.
CK your oil at every gas up or at least once a month.
LG

Its possible that only the lower portion of the oil seal needs replacing. This would involve only removing the oil pan and bearing cap. This worked for me.

What weight oil? How many miles on the engine?
Check to be sure your PCV valve is clean.
CK your oil at every gas up or at least once a month.
LG

I am running 5w-30 because it gets pretty cold here in the winter.

The PCV had a little froth on it and so did the oil cap when I took it off.

As to how many miles are on the engine, I have absolutely no clue. I think it is still the original engine but the odometer read 10,418km when I bought it last year and I assume it has rolled over at least once in 37 years.

I will get some picks of the valve cover and try to get to a bay next monday to check inside the bell housing as Bass recommends.

Here are some pictures. It almost looks like oil is coming out of the breather filter.

b3faa983b15394ffcfd6a2380b716a4e.jpg
33be99ec1b0c578a587359965ba4e198.jpg
f305a3216933f490bb8a9cc315d03c94.jpg
cd78fff6710b397ec7dc72fef7361397.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

That foam is caused by condensation inside the engine. It WILL clog the PCV valve and breathers. That can/will lead to over pressure within the engine block.
You are not letting the engine run long enough to 'burn' off this condensation..........
What is the temp. range(degrees)you see there?
LG

P.S. Move the wire loom up and away from the back of the valve cover in pic#2.

You ar also missing a bolt in your oil pan that can cause the pan to come loose and leak oil. I would check all of your bolts and replace the missing one. I typically put a dab of lock tight on the bolts to help keep them from backing out

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

You ar also missing a bolt in your oil pan that can cause the pan to come loose and leak oil. I would check all of your bolts and replace the missing one. I typically put a dab of lock tight on the bolts to help keep them from backing out

Had me going for a second there. I took that pic right after I drained the oil. I started to freak and went and crawled around under the Jeep in the 20's til I looked at the picture and saw you were talking about the drain plug.

That foam is caused by condensation inside the engine. It WILL clog the PCV valve and breathers. That can/will lead to over pressure within the engine block.
You are not letting the engine run long enough to 'burn' off this condensation..........
What is the temp. range(degrees)you see there?
LG

P.S. Move the wire loom up and away from the back of the valve cover in pic#2.

That could be as I pretty much only drive to work and back and that is a twenty minute drive. Lately the temps have been highs around freezing with lows in the teens and twenties.

Had me going for a second there. I took that pic right after I drained the oil. I started to freak and went and crawled around under the Jeep in the 20's til I looked at the picture and saw you were talking about the drain plug.
My bad there is a green spot on your one bolt and when I saw it I thought it was an empty hole with the gasket showing through

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks