Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburators

Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburators

BigSushi

Jeeper
Thanks
I currently have a Holley 4 BBL sitting on a Edelbrock Performer Intake. It has a manual choke that has a cable that runs to the dash and I control it from there and I dont trust it. I got some advice (from a guy that rebuilds jeeps and other vehicles) to swap the carb out for a Edelbrock AVS off road with the calibration kit. He stated that it is very easy to tune and work on and provides great performance - except if I plan to rock crawl (wihich i dont).
I am also interested in the electric choke version, is/was there a hook up for the electric chock on a 1981 CJ5, or will I have to hard wire it?
I was going to get one but wanted feedback first.

Thanks!!:notworthy:

i don't know about a factory hookup but all you have to do to hook up an electric choke is find a wire that is switched on by the key and put it with that. you can use the one that is on the starter solenoid on the right inner fender. when i still had the carter on mine it had a factory hook up but i done away with the electric choke and put a manual kit on my mc2100. if there is one that's still there it'll be a single wire with a white looking slip on style connector or atleast mine was

I currently have a Holley 4 BBL sitting on a Edelbrock Performer Intake. It has a manual choke that has a cable that runs to the dash and I control it from there and I dont trust it.

So what your saying is you don't trust yourself to work the choke?
I'll take a cable choke over an electric any day, I know when I pull or push the cable it's going to be on or off.

So what your saying is you don't trust yourself to work the choke?
I'll take a cable choke over an electric any day, I know when I pull or push the cable it's going to be on or off.

No I'm not saying I dont trust myself, I got it working now:cool:, I just do not "know" this carb and/or how to adjust it or what has been done or not done to it. This carb has vac lines with screws in them all over so before I start rebuilding or replacing parts, I would just rather purchase a new one and go from there.
So you are saying an electric choke would not be a wise grasshopper move simply because you can control it?

well some people would just rather set it and foget it like ron popiel but personally i would rather have complete control over it. if i pull it half out its half choke, if i cut it off its off, see what i mean if i don't need it i don't use it. an electric choke well you just set it and let it work. its preference really, nothing wrong with either IMO

Understood and appreciate it. So do yall have any opinions on the Edelbrock AVS carbs?

I don't have any personal experance with them, but with a 304 you will probally want the smallest one they make.
IMO a holley would be easier to tune

yep i hear the the holley truck avenger is the best 4bbl for offroad but iv'e never owned one

I didn't like the truck avenger I had, I know some other people who have had problems with them also. But we run them at some wierd angles and bumpy trails.
IMO tbi is the way to go. no more problems.

I didn't like the truck avenger I had, I know some other people who have had problems with them also. But we run them at some wierd angles and bumpy trails.
IMO tbi is the way to go. no more problems.
I really want to do the junkyard tbi swap i'm just waiting for $$$ b/c im going to buy the adapter from howell fi, im not for sure that i can make one. the mc2100 on mine runs good but its not tbi

Have have both carbs. The edelbrock is very simple to tune and you dont have to remove the carb for needle or jet changes. I got a 1966 327 with dome top pistons to pass 1980 6 cylinder emisions with that carb. The problem I had with it is the shaft for the butterflies will wear into the carb housing and cause a vacuum leak. This leak will cause very choppy running problems and the partial throttle is comprimised. This happened to me and after alot of troubleshooting I finally figured it out. I have read about this before on numberious car sites.

Now I own the 670 Holley truck avenger and I tell you what, it runs like a champ. I do have a hard time getting similar fuel economy out of it though. Holleys are finicky little bitches at first so you do need to know carb fueling theory otherwise you will go nuts trying to set it up. I am very good with them so it doesn't bother me.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks