Easy Torque wrench calibration at home

Easy Torque wrench calibration at home

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
After having good reason to question the calibration of my "click" style torque wrench I did what every warm blooded American does, I went to youtube. I admit to watching only one video, but it was enough to get the idea. He was using a torque adaptor from Harbor Freight, as a matter of fact the following tool:

1/2 In Drive Digital Torque Adapter

This proved to be $30 well spent. I actually expected to find a calibration device. What it is, is a device designed to be attached to normal 1/2" ratchet handle. No matter it worked really well for a calibration device, only in reverse of what it was designed to do.

Following the video, more or less, I welded two 1"x4" angle irons together, then welded a 1/2" torque wrench socket to the flat. This gives a great side to put in your vice and a 1/2" socket to put the adaptor in.

Simply set your torque wrench for about 1/2 it's range, in this case 75 ft. lbs. I had a friend watch the digital guage and gave it a shot. OMG my wrench was way off. Now I remember why I though I used it, but didn't in the end. The wrench showed well over 100 ft. lb. when I quite trying. A few adjustments later and now I have a useable torque wrench. The thing really does work.

I'm not going to go into details about how to do the calibration. You need to go to youtube do that. Believe me its far easier to watch than it is to read a poorly written description from me. My only purpose is to say, this is a very cool tool that really works.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks