Body Do you have a recommendation for your stock hardtop strut replacement.

Body Do you have a recommendation for your stock hardtop strut replacement.

totalpackage

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 and 79 CJ 5, (sold) , 83 CJ 7 Laredo current
So mine are missing and I may need to use the hard top next week. I have an 83 Laredo with stock top. iI have time to get the top up to par so figured I would ask, or will Auto Zone be able to suggest what I need And it fit the brackets?

I've not found anything. You can find original ones on slezebay. I ended up buying a junk hard top just to get my struts

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

The Omix # 12012.08 is a stock replacement. A bit pricey at about $30 each. Advance Auto has some generic replacements, part # D4643. They're about $16 each.

The Omix # 12012.08 is a stock replacement. A bit pricey at about $30 each. Advance Auto has some generic replacements, part # D4643. They're about $16 each.
But those aren't for the CJ
Here's a factory set on slezebay

b489d1aaded8bba29360da961429fc87.png

Thx guys, I would need that hardware too , the Omix didn’t look correct unless there pic is generic. The advance one I saw on another forum but couldn’t confirm. Manic , sleezebay ..Deadjeep may be my go too.

Hey Manic. My bad. Thanks for the catch.
All good. I went through hell trying to find a set. Everything is for the newer stuff with an all glass window not our steel frame and glass setup

A little sand paper and some semi gloss black spray paint and they will look good as new

So as i am cleaning these up and feel that they have a spring internal, any suggestions on if i should soak these in something? Or spray something down the shaft to condition the spring? They sound like the spring door that opens on "The Waltons". :)

So as i am cleaning these up and feel that they have a spring internal, any suggestions on if i should soak these in something? Or spray something down the shaft to condition the spring? They sound like the spring door that opens on "The Waltons". :)
I “refurbed” mine - a bit of paint, and a good dose of WD-40 to the springs. Be forwarned - if you do that, depending on which way you mount them, they may dribble rust infused drool for weeks...... and I sprayed very little .......

Last edited:
I “refurbed” mine - a bit of paint, and a good dose of WD-40 to the springs. Be forwarded - if you do that, depending on which way you mount them, they may dribble rust infused drool for weeks...... and I sprayed very little .......
Thanks, I did create a 2 1/4in pic holder and and filled with brake cleaner. Let set for hours on each. Removed and watched rusty fluid come out as I pressed them. Then sanded and painted. Also now dropped some 3in 1 oil. And letting that stay internal.

Attachments

• 8B000E12-7B77-46AD-ABF3-E2637F1A47B2.jpeg
    8B000E12-7B77-46AD-ABF3-E2637F1A47B2.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 2
I “refurbed” mine - a bit of paint, and a good dose of WD-40 to the springs. Be forwarded - if you do that, depending on which way you mount them, they may dribble rust infused drool for weeks...... and I sprayed very little .......
Thanks, I did create a 2 1/4in pvc holder and and filled with brake cleaner. Let set for hours on each. Removed and watched rusty fluid come out as I pressed them. Then sanded and painted. Also now dropped some 3in 1 oil. And letting that stay internal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks