Body Do you have a recommendation for your stock hardtop strut replacement.

Body Do you have a recommendation for your stock hardtop strut replacement.

totalpackage

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 and 79 CJ 5, (sold) , 83 CJ 7 Laredo current
So mine are missing and I may need to use the hard top next week. I have an 83 Laredo with stock top. iI have time to get the top up to par so figured I would ask, or will Auto Zone be able to suggest what I need And it fit the brackets?

I've not found anything. You can find original ones on slezebay. I ended up buying a junk hard top just to get my struts

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

The Omix # 12012.08 is a stock replacement. A bit pricey at about $30 each. Advance Auto has some generic replacements, part # D4643. They're about $16 each.

The Omix # 12012.08 is a stock replacement. A bit pricey at about $30 each. Advance Auto has some generic replacements, part # D4643. They're about $16 each.
But those aren't for the CJ
Here's a factory set on slezebay

b489d1aaded8bba29360da961429fc87.png

Thx guys, I would need that hardware too , the Omix didn’t look correct unless there pic is generic. The advance one I saw on another forum but couldn’t confirm. Manic , sleezebay ..Deadjeep may be my go too.

Hey Manic. My bad. Thanks for the catch.
All good. I went through hell trying to find a set. Everything is for the newer stuff with an all glass window not our steel frame and glass setup

A little sand paper and some semi gloss black spray paint and they will look good as new

So as i am cleaning these up and feel that they have a spring internal, any suggestions on if i should soak these in something? Or spray something down the shaft to condition the spring? They sound like the spring door that opens on "The Waltons". :)

So as i am cleaning these up and feel that they have a spring internal, any suggestions on if i should soak these in something? Or spray something down the shaft to condition the spring? They sound like the spring door that opens on "The Waltons". :)
I “refurbed” mine - a bit of paint, and a good dose of WD-40 to the springs. Be forwarned - if you do that, depending on which way you mount them, they may dribble rust infused drool for weeks...... and I sprayed very little .......

Last edited:
I “refurbed” mine - a bit of paint, and a good dose of WD-40 to the springs. Be forwarded - if you do that, depending on which way you mount them, they may dribble rust infused drool for weeks...... and I sprayed very little .......
Thanks, I did create a 2 1/4in pic holder and and filled with brake cleaner. Let set for hours on each. Removed and watched rusty fluid come out as I pressed them. Then sanded and painted. Also now dropped some 3in 1 oil. And letting that stay internal.

Attachments

• 8B000E12-7B77-46AD-ABF3-E2637F1A47B2.jpeg
    8B000E12-7B77-46AD-ABF3-E2637F1A47B2.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 2
I “refurbed” mine - a bit of paint, and a good dose of WD-40 to the springs. Be forwarded - if you do that, depending on which way you mount them, they may dribble rust infused drool for weeks...... and I sprayed very little .......
Thanks, I did create a 2 1/4in pvc holder and and filled with brake cleaner. Let set for hours on each. Removed and watched rusty fluid come out as I pressed them. Then sanded and painted. Also now dropped some 3in 1 oil. And letting that stay internal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom