Differentials, winter project!

Differentials, winter project!

oldguy

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-5 304.
Need some suggestions. I got the CJ5 together and running "good so far" so I'll put some trail and road miles on it before snow sets in. Running 33 x 12.50 tires, might go to 35's?? SO question to all yall seasoned Jeepers is what gear ratio would you suggest? Whats the best posi carrier for the rear (AMC20) and front (Dana 30)?

what gear ratio would you suggest?

Differential Gear Ratio Chart - Tire Size to Gear Ratio

That may help... Depending on if you want more economy (fuel mileage) Balanced, or torque/ power I would say between 4.27 to 5.13...

With my 33's, I love 4.27, but it is a pain to find, and expensive ratio :cool: If I were you, and your planning 35's I'd probably run 4.88's

Whats the best posi carrier for the rear (AMC20) and front (Dana 30)?

I'm no expert, but feel Detroit auto locker in the rear, and selectable eaton (electric) locker in the front would be my choice... When I get more time later today I'll link you the research i did for mine.

But keep in mind I run a Dana 44 in the rear, not a 20...

:cool:

:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks