Diesel Limited?

Diesel Limited?

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
I ran across an interesting ad today. The Cj 10a tugs that were used on aircraft carriers used the Nissan Diesel engine. I know little about diesels but would this be a good engine for my Limited project?

School me on the ins and outs , and pros and cons of this please. :)

From what I understand Pete, the diesel is a poor performer on the street with super low gears to haul heavy loads around. Seems like you have enough projects, have you considered a Jeep trip?

We have a bunch of diesel conversions in my area since Cummins is a local company. I was thinking about putting one in when my 304 blew up. I decided against one because 1. too much low end torque for street use, 2. the exhaust is terrible and 3. the vibration is worse than an AMF era Harley. Keep in mind that my Jeep is a daily driver. The ones I've seen were more of a novelty and were swapped in because the owners were Cummins fans and not Jeep fans.

When it comes to low end torque nothing beats a diesel of course so for grunting planes around a tarmac it just makes sense. Scout used the Nissan diesel motors too right up to their demise in 1980.

I would rather do the Cummins 4bt swap if I were to do a swap, tons of low end torque to pretzel your AMC20 with, narrow rpm range and nasty exhaust smell though:oops:

Thank you everyone. I wouldnt be trailering it around so the diesel doesnt sound like a good option for me. :chug:

I would rather do the Cummins 4bt swap if I were to do a swap, tons of low end torque to pretzel your AMC20 with, narrow rpm range and nasty exhaust smell though:oops:

My family is a Cummins supplier and I was visiting Cummins when they were testing the new engines that eventually would go in to the Dodge truck back in the late eighties. No pretzling of the axles but there was a huge bin of twisted driveshafts. The 4bt is what most people swap in but they are coming out with a smaller engine next year.

My family is a Cummins supplier and I was visiting Cummins when they were testing the new engines that eventually would go in to the Dodge truck back in the late eighties. No pretzling of the axles but there was a huge bin of twisted driveshafts. The 4bt is what most people swap in but they are coming out with a smaller engine next year.

thats pretty crazy, the driveshafts out of my 80s Dodges were like 4" in diameter :eek:

thats pretty crazy, the driveshafts out of my 80s Dodges were like 4" in diameter :eek:
They first started testing them on some really small trucks and cars. I know they had a half dozen trucks about the size of an S-10. Even today, I'll make a delivery to a plant and there will be a couple dozen trucks, semis, tractors etc sitting in the lot for testing. They strip all the company markings and logos off them and put this weird multimedia wrap on them so you can't identify the make. The wrap hides the shape of the body in photos..

We have a bunch of diesel conversions in my area since Cummins is a local company. I was thinking about putting one in when my 304 blew up. I decided against one because 1. too much low end torque for street use, 2. the exhaust is terrible and 3. the vibration is worse than an AMF era Harley. Keep in mind that my Jeep is a daily driver. The ones I've seen were more of a novelty and were swapped in because the owners were Cummins fans and not Jeep fans.

I have an old 80 GMC half ton with an 85 Goodwrench DX 350 diesel (some call it the Olds diesel) in it. The engine has about 50k on it and runs fantastic. The DX engine was the later (last) one that came with longer / stronger studs and bolts and didn't have the problems the original ones had. That old truck gets 25mpg on the highway and it's running a bit rich.

Anyway, I'm giving serious consideration to going diesel when I pull everything out of this CJ7 and build my CJ8. Either use this 350 or a 4BT. I have 2.72 gears so low-end is my friend. Vibration is manageable with the 4BT and being able to put a turbo on there helps even more...and I LIKE the smell...:D

Pete, I would'nt hesitate to put a 4bt in a CJ

Pete the Nissan diesel is aweful. I drove a jeep tug in the air force for four years. It had terrible power.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks