diesel engine in cj

diesel engine in cj

grozam

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81' cj7 350/350 conversion,99 silverado4x4,79chevy c10 4x4,66 chevelle ss396 4 speed,78 corvette 350 auto,76' pontiac trans am 455 auto,67 chevelle ss 396 auto,
The new ram is offering a diesel engine. What is your opinion on doing a swap with one of those in a cj?

Too much electronic BS on newer diesels. Look for a 4bt Cummins motor. All mechanical, easy to work on.

Or a 6.2/6.5 V8 diesel sourced from a GM truck. Beauty of these are that they aren't much heavier than a AMC V8, use SBC motor mounts and bellhousing, and are easy to find. Also, parts are available at your neighborhood parts store. Was thinking about this swap myself. My two cents.

The 6.2/6.5 might be ok in a CJ, but they're a ball less wonder in anything bigger.

The 6.2/6.5 might be ok in a CJ, but they're a ball less wonder in anything bigger.

Great discussion. I agree generally, a 6.2/6.5 wouldn't be my first (or second) choice for install into a full size truck but we are talking a CJ swap (I'm a 7.3L fan myself). The pros of a 6.2/6.5 diesel swap into a CJ are significant when compared to other diesel engine swaps - engine availability, replacement parts availability, low overall weight and compact size (for a diesel), availability of components (OEM or aftermarket) to facilitate the swap (engine mount, bellhousing, clutch, trans compatibility), cost, etc. Overall performance is good even in NA form and a turbo can be added using OEM or aftermarket parts/kits. Engine is also available with mechanical or electronic controls and 17-21 mpg is easily achieveable without a whole lot of work. If you take personal preference or brand loyalty out of it, can you say the same for a Cummins, Navistar, Duramax, Volkswagon, or any other common industrial or automotive application diesel swap into a CJ?

I love diesels. I have had a few over the years, currently drive and pull with a PSD Excursion and have thought alot about swapping a diesel into my CJ8 Scrambler build someday.

I do agree with you in general, the 6.2/6.5's would be worth consideration for all the reasons you mentioned. I too have a love of diesels, my current is a 06 F250 6.0 PSD and my previous was a 95 Dodge with the Cummins. All things considered, I'd still take a 4BT over anything else for my 8 if I were going to do it. I've ridden in CUCV's that cant seem to get out of their own way, and in low range it isnt much better. I'm not sure where 6.2/6.5's make their torque, because you sure dont feel in in the seat.

been doing some looking on the 6.2s from a Humvee and i'm seeing alot of good things. just change the 24v wiring (or leave it).

Has anyone gone this route and added a turbo, it looks like the military version is rated for a turbo with the fuel pressure. (add a little kick)

on a general note, has anybody had any issues when 4 wheeling with a diesel?

ive wheeled with ppl that had diesels and they're killer, but i would stay away from the 6.2/6.5 wheel house just because the b-series cummins are so plentiful, furthermore i would look into some of the other tractor motor options you might have locally like a 4-6cyl kubota turbo powerplant, or a good ol perkins. both can be had with turbos and both are part of a family of motors that are commonly and very very successfully marinized (kubota=beta marine, perkins=....perkins marine)

thanks, i'll keep it in mind. i'm keeping on the look out for the J-series? i believe there a little tougher, or so i read....have to find that thread....now where did it go?

In a CJ-To much weight and if it fits will be gutless w/o turbo.
Driveline will not handle the torque.
LG

The Mercedes OM617 swap sounds pretty good. I've driven a couple of Mercedes 300td and have been impressed with that motors low speed torque. Five cylinder inline should be about the same size and weight as the 258. Simple motor, only needs a hot wire to the fuel pump to run. Very reliable well built motors. The adapter kits are about the same price as V8 kits. Mercedes Diesel 4x4.com OM617 Jeep Conversion Kits

The Mercedes OM617 swap sounds pretty good. I've driven a couple of Mercedes 300td and have been impressed with that motors low speed torque. Five cylinder inline should be about the same size and weight as the 258. Simple motor, only needs a hot wire to the fuel pump to run. Very reliable well built motors. The adapter kits are about the same price as V8 kits. Mercedes Diesel 4x4.com OM617 Jeep Conversion Kits

Was just going to mention this. It's done quite often but not many write ups. I'm looking to do this swap but probably not as soon as I was hoping. Really good torque throughout the RPM range and redlines at 4k. Probably one of the cheapest diesel swaps you can get.

I've put a few 100k miles on several Benz's with 617 turbos. Yes, when the turbo is fully spooled, a lot of torque. However, if the rpm is low and you are pretty much in the NA mode, you can't get out of the way of a turtle.

They are also a long ways from maintenance free and everyone of the three I had eventually ate the cam and followers. That and the parts are Benz's usual ridiculous prices.

I've also had a couple of Benz NA diesels. Gutless wonders but one of them ran 500k.

Do I want a diesel in a Jeep? Not any of them I'm familiar with. If it actually gets cold, none will start without a heater of some type.

For myself, I came to the conclusion that one would be way better off building a long stoke gas V8 that will yield a diesel-like torque curve. Lighter, easier to fix, cheaper and more available fuel, and they will start un-aided when it's below zero.

I've put a few 100k miles on several Benz's with 617 turbos. Yes, when the turbo is fully spooled, a lot of torque. However, if the rpm is low and you are pretty much in the NA mode, you can't get out of the way of a turtle.

They are also a long ways from maintenance free and everyone of the three I had eventually ate the cam and followers. That and the parts are Benz's usual ridiculous prices.

I've also had a couple of Benz NA diesels. Gutless wonders but one of them ran 500k.

Do I want a diesel in a Jeep? Not any of them I'm familiar with. If it actually gets cold, none will start without a heater of some type.

For myself, I came to the conclusion that one would be way better off building a long stoke gas V8 that will yield a diesel-like torque curve. Lighter, easier to fix, cheaper and more available fuel, and they will start un-aided when it's below zero.

well after i posted eariler i read about a 4bt diesel...haven't heard too much bad about them... if i end up choosing a diesel i am leaning toward a lighter (if there is such) side of them...i agree a 6.2 is a little ridiculous, but thats what reading and learning is all about, change your mind in your head first instead of after its built...

thanks for the info and bringing back this thread.

if i end up choosing a diesel i'll def wright it up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks