Diesel CJ5 Project, need Trans and Transfer case advice

Diesel CJ5 Project, need Trans and Transfer case advice
I appreciate the input, alot, I'm kinda stuck.
Funny you mention those 2 things.
They are what I'm stuck on.

And I certainly, agree. Good maintenance goes a LOONG way. And I shift like I have an egg in my hand. I'm 38 now, and this Project is the polar opposite of anything I've built in the past.

And I guess you are referencing the French boat anchor. Sounds like I'll be just fine with a T5 then. Just have to sort out the clutch components. Maybe I'll get lucky once again there too. So what Transfer case bolts stock to the T5? D300, or Dana 20 maybe?

The T5 came with a 300 behind it, I have one in the barn, but have never been under it to verify, I bought it for parts.

I DO plan on going off road, as often as possible, but not Heavy Duty Parts breaking style. Be perfectly happy crawling, and winching, if necessary.
And probably after the S/C is mounted.

I am going with a military theme custom, so I want to have a slightly knobbly tread/edge of section, like the BF Goodrich T/A KO's. But I don't have huge HP to rotate 400 Lbs of 35 inch tire/wheel. And with 3.73(?) gears, and 60HP before Boosting, I sure need a smaller tire on the road. I have an offer from the Gent I bought the Cj from to trade the AMC chrome(not good shape) 15"(x8?) wagon wheels, for some 16 inch military rims. I don't know yet the width (6.5 or 7?). If I do, should I go for the smallest 16" size (LT215/70R16), or do you think that still really be to tall? I also hope to get a very "squared shoulder" look to the tire/wheel, with little sidewall bulging and roundness. At least on the street, at 30 or 40 PSI., not at low air for traction.

LT215/70R16 is a short and narrow tire, maybe too short and too narrow for a Cj, just my opinion. That is a popular stock size for older 1 ton dually pickups. If you go this route, you will probably be looking at Load Range D or E tires in this size, you might find LRCs. They will ride like a rock on a Cj, I would not recommend it. Id want "P" myself, but once again, only my opinion. I like stuff to ride nice.

I have a cobbled 2" body lift from way back when made of square tubing to remove. CJ also has an aftermarket set of springs lifting it I'm guessing 4-5". Wheel wells also cut, so have to fix quarters. Long fenders are being replaced with short nose anyways. My point being, there's way too much space between the body and the tires, and it has fairly large tires now. Hoping I can keep the lifted springs and it not look stupid with possibly smaller dia. tires.

Does sound like a visual "proportion" problem

Stupid off the cuff question, is it possible to use shorter shackles with the heavily arched springs?? These look to be @ 4" or 5" center to center.

I dont know that answer to this one above.

As far as the smoke puking, I have been worried about smell. I have been trying to decide if I should put a vertical stack on it for that reason. Thing is, sometimes I really don't like what people do with them. Like fingernails on a chalk board. I do already have a FlowMaster @ the right size, and thought about a simple downturn aimed straight at the ground, exiting behind the seats. Would that create problems fording, say if I stalled? Or should I use a stack? Is that what you might be hinting at? Would the odor be less with a stack? Internationals point at the ground...

With regular exhaust pipe, only way youd get water in the motor via the exhaust is if you have the motor submerged. I was not hinting at a stack, for I dont really know the solution for the exhaust, but I think the stack would work. Keep in mind, the back of a Cj is "square" it creates a hell of a vacuum going down the road, and pulls exhaust in the back of the Cj unless you have it sealed up tight (top and tailgate). Then on the trail, if you moving slow, it all depends on the direction of the wind or if there is any wind. No getting away from that, a stack would help because the exhaust is "hot" and hot air rises...

I have fairly decided on a custom semi-permanent Intake snorkle.

Yes, I am a Newb to off-road. But not forever.

Sorry, no pics yet.
I'm in the process of moving myself, as well as dragging the Cj home.
THIS COMING WEEK! :chug:
Busted's text is in red...

Thanks for all the advice, Knuckle.
I definitely am taking the sage tire advice very seriously.

Think I'll try the down pipe at least for now.
It won't cost me much $$$ at all, and very little time and work.

Not sure about crawling, but if blown into the airflow under the CJ, at least I won't smell it.
Still debatable long term.

See what you think of the build:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1974-cj5-1-8l-4fb1-isuzu-diesel-8925/

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks