Determining lift height

Determining lift height

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
I have what I think is a four inch lift. I am replacing the setup. The problem, I cannot go more than an inch higher than it is now, the garage will bite it! How do I determine what the lift height currently is?
Thanks!

not a problem, dig out under the door.:laugh:

I wish I could say what is on my mind right now!! Instead of lowering the jeep, lower the floor:0 haha

Here's what I say:
_24026.jpg

I gave this advice before and the debate is still on. Check out this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/lifted-cj5-questions-10748/

Dumb ?, do I take measurements with load on the springs or jacked up

Measure with the jeep on the ground but unloaded, with no one in it.

One more ? Non related. I went to get an oil filter, they said that I needed one out of a dodge van with a 360, doesnt fit. my thinking was do a 304 filter from a 1980 CJ7 w/304 am I correct?

One more ? Non related. I went to get an oil filter, they said that I needed one out of a dodge van with a 360, doesnt fit. my thinking was do a 304 filter from a 1980 CJ7 w/304 am I correct?

I know they make one for my year jeep with 304...

Same block, but not sure same filter to be honest.

If you want the filter I got it's for a 74 CJ5 5.0 304 V8 (and when they ask, yes 4 wheel drive and no AC, unless you count no top & no doors as "AC") :laugh:

When installing shackles, I noticed something weird to me. When I disconnected the spring, there was very little tension, is this normal? I was expecting great forces! Let me know, thanks!

When I work on the springs I jack up the frame or bumper. Not too high or not too low or there will be a lot of tension.
Maybe you had it at the correct height.

Guess I did!!! I was scared! I would hit the bolt and run away until it came out, I'm a girl! How do I determine when it's time for new springs?

Can i ask, where did you find out this is the way to determine lift or not?

thanks!
I measured it myself on jeeps. A 2.5 inch lift gives a measurement of about 2.5 inches but it depends on the weight of the Jeep such as V8 or 4 cylinder. I think it's easier and more accurate than measuring the fender height.

I measured it myself on jeeps. A 2.5 inch lift gives a measurement of about 2.5 inches but it depends on the weight of the Jeep such as V8 or 4 cylinder. I think it's easier and more accurate than measuring the fender height.

I assume you have measured stock springs as well?

you are the 1st person I have seen that has done it this way, I am in the same boat right now trying to determine stock height.

I started on this search after installing a 2" lift, Jeep is a 83 6cyl, (untouched before)

heck it didn't even raise the rear 1" at the body, I had no measurement for the front as the front springs were completely flat so I could only assume the rears were shot as well which should had given me for than 2" not less than 1". ( attached a image of my from diff bump stop clearance to show how collapsed front springs were)

I have since measured from top of axle to frame at bump stop front and rear and shock stud to shock stud front and rear,

during my search, I have been finding many different results from lift at the body too, most say stock is about 21.5" to bottom of tub, unreliable though if body bushings and everything else are worn,

but also from stock so is about any other measurement that does not have new factory springs on it, there is literally no factory spec except overall height, and step height (do they measure that at the tub opening?

I even contacted Jeep about it, I wonder how a body shop would ever check a frame for light damage then?

anyhow I am putting together a list of this information for future reference when I can find reliable information

BTW thanks for your time!

fingercenterbump.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have checked a CJ7 before the lift.
Measuring the body height is a good way to check how much height your particular jeep gets from a lift you install. My diagram is meant to help people that don't know how much lift they already have.
You must have been disappointed buying that 2 inch lift. It looks like you must have had some sagging beforehand by the looks of you pinion snubber and you still didn't get 2 inches of lift.
You're right that measuring body height doesn't take into account things like body mounts, shackles, tire size etc, etc etc. That's why I did some checking to find out just how much curvature lifted springs should have.

Yes, I have checked a CJ7 before the lift.
Measuring the body height is a good way to check how much height your particular jeep gets from a lift you install. My diagram is meant to help people that don't know how much lift they already have.
You must have been disappointed buying that 2 inch lift. It looks like you must have had some sagging beforehand by the looks of you pinion snubber and you still didn't get 2 inches of lift.
You're right that measuring body height doesn't take into account things like body mounts, shackles, tire size etc, etc etc. That's why I did some checking to find out just how much curvature lifted springs should have.

it's my own fault as I purchase a set from a private individual, (I learned).
May I ask do you have any other measurements? such as top center of axle to frame at bump stop? or to the bump stop?
I have pics I have take at various locations to show exactly where I got my measurements, sorry to keep bugging you, but I really could use this help to finish the jeep and get it back on the road asap

thanks again

Last edited:
May I ask do you have any other measurements? such as top center of axle to frame at bump stop? or to the bump stop?
I have pics I have take at various locations to show exactly where I got my measurements,
thanks again
Sorry but I don't have a CJ accessible to take any more measurements. My current CJ5 has a shackle reversal and the springs are mounted much different than OEM.
Maybe someone else will chime in that could help.

Sorry but I don't have a CJ accessible to take any more measurements. My current CJ5 has a shackle reversal and the springs are mounted much different than OEM.
Maybe someone else will chime in that could help.

thanks I do have another issue, when I mounted the springs to the axle, I had a 1" difference in width front of spring to rear of spring,
IOW's
the rear of the front leaf measures 29 1/16" outside of spring to utside of spring at the rear hanger, the front (after setting the axle down onto the locating pins), at the hanger measures 30" and forces the shackle out at the bottom creating the shackles to point at an angle, it is like the axle dowels are to wide by a half inch or so, my jeep seemed untouched before except for new red poly leaf spring bushings,

so I checked the rear as well and get the same thing, only in reverse, the front of the rear spring is 37 11/16 overall width at the hanger and the rear of the rear springs is 39 11/16 overall width, I'm measuring spring to spring not the bushings, would it be that the bushings should be smaller on one side? of the spring? IOWS one half of the bushing be a 1/4 skinnier than the other half?

I'd start by seeing what the axle dowels are, you know they didn't move. IIRC :wtf: it should be 27 1/2"
I've never seen bushings that needed to have different size shoulders.
I have seen jeeps that the factory welded up wrong and shipped it anyway though.:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks