Interior Dash Pad

Interior Dash Pad

Super8mm

Active Jeeper
Bronze Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case.
Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)
I was looking at this dash pad and i am thinking of getting one but I am wondering, is it padded vinyl or is it just metal? Ad says it is grey primer and ready to paint?

They say it will fit a 80 CJ5 but I was wondering what model of CJ5 it was on

ThanksDash cover.jpg

These are padded vinyl, added back in the mid-late 70's to meet federal safety regulations prior to shoulder belts being mandated. With only lap belts, and those not used that often, people sustained injuries hitting their heads on the metal dash. So a dash pad was mandated. Now some pads have thick ends and some have thinner ones (like in your pic). When Jeep introduced the hard door "wind wing" vents late in '82, they needed the thinner ended pads for clearance. The thick ended ones can also interfere with front roll bars or windshield bars and/or dash-mounted front bars. I use a pad with the thin ends to provide clearance for my front windshield hoop bar. Concerning painting this one, here is the response on that subject from the manufacturer's web site:

"You would take this to a shop that specializes in automotive interiors and have them dye the part. Traditional paint would crack, and would not be appropriate for this product."

Thanks TSB8C, I take it that the defroster duct holes are the same in all of the 80's models then and this can be added with no problem.

Yep. 77-86 are all the same. 55-76 are different.
Not exactly. There are what are called thin end and thick end pads. From what I recall thin end are used on Cjs equipped with hard doors that have vent windows. Thick end on all the others

Not exactly. There are what are called thin end and thick end pads. From what I recall thin end are used on Cjs equipped with hard doors that have vent windows. Thick end on all the others
Thanks, I have a soft top for now but have been looking at a hard top but it has sliding windows so I think either style will work for me.

You are correct on the ends being thin or thick based on doors with/without vents. I was referring to the question about the defroster duct holes being the same or not.

You are correct on the ends being thin or thick based on doors with/without vents. I was referring to the question about the defroster duct holes being the same or not.
Thanks for clarifying that, I will see if I can find one with the thick ends :tu:

Took mine off and it’s going in the trash or whoever wants it. The ends are cracked a little bit.

Took mine off and it’s going in the trash or whoever wants it. The ends are cracked a little bit.
Wish you were closer to Ft. Worth

Yeah, Texas is big.

Yeah I remember back in the early 70s as a young teen driving up out of Mexico crossing at McAllen and probably moving up to I10 and driving west the whole day and part of the next day with my parents and we were still in Texas.

My longest day was 1088 miles in 21 hours on a motorcycle and never got east of Dallas

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks