Dash lighting not working

Dash lighting not working

Jeppp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ5 w/ Straight 6
So, I have the dash dropped out of the Jeep, everything is unhooked. After going through and sorting the wiring disaster, I tried to check all the lights, as I'm going to do an LED upgrade. Unfortunately, I can't get the dash lights to work.

When I say I can't get them to work;
turn signals both work, inside the speedo and rear
brake lights and reverse lights work in the rear
headlights, sidemarkers, etc all work
all fuses in good shape
There is one ground that seems to be unhooked, by the lighting. It looks like it slips over the ground screw on the backside of the dash. Regardless, I grounded it with a spare jumper, and it made no difference.

I am thinking maybe the potentiometer in the lighting switch is bad. Is there a way to really test this? I have looked at the wiring diagram but I can't seem to figure out how to jumper it.

If all else fails, can someone halfway direct me on how to splice the lights to the sidemarkers/running lights? I'm doing the LED replacement which will make the "dimmer" virtually useless anyways. I know where the mid/running light wire is, I'm just not sure which wire I'd splice that to.

Any .02 is welcome.

So, I have the dash dropped out of the Jeep, everything is unhooked. After going through and sorting the wiring disaster, I tried to check all the lights, as I'm going to do an LED upgrade. Unfortunately, I can't get the dash lights to work.

When I say I can't get them to work;
turn signals both work, inside the speedo and rear
brake lights and reverse lights work in the rear
headlights, sidemarkers, etc all work
all fuses in good shape
There is one ground that seems to be unhooked, by the lighting. It looks like it slips over the ground screw on the backside of the dash. Regardless, I grounded it with a spare jumper, and it made no difference.

I am thinking maybe the potentiometer in the lighting switch is bad. Is there a way to really test this? I have looked at the wiring diagram but I can't seem to figure out how to jumper it.

If all else fails, can someone halfway direct me on how to splice the lights to the sidemarkers/running lights? I'm doing the LED replacement which will make the "dimmer" virtually useless anyways. I know where the mid/running light wire is, I'm just not sure which wire I'd splice that to.

Any .02 is welcome.

Have you tried rotating the headlight switch back and forth? I know mine will go out from time to time...it's done that since it was new...real pita. I have to be real careful that I pull it straight out without twisting it.

If you were going to splice to the markers, the closest would likely be the taillights...harness runs along the tub on the drivers side. The gauge light wire (or wires...there are several...any one will do) is orange

I'd go ahead and run a good solid ground from the dash to the battery, too. I know you say it didn't affect this particular situation, but it'll save headaches down the road. I ran one to a bus bar underneath inside where it stays dry...ground the paint down nice and shiny...slathered the back with dielectric

Last edited:
:ww: :dbanana: :banana:

Start by running a dedicated hard wire GND from your dash panel, to the battery NEG(-) post. \
The turn signals and brake lights are all routed through the turn signal switch in the steering colume.

OLG

Have you tried rotating the headlight switch back and forth? I know mine will go out from time to time...it's done that since it was new...real pita. I have to be real careful that I pull it straight out without twisting it.

If you were going to splice to the markers, the closest would likely be the taillights...harness runs along the tub on the drivers side. The gauge light wire (or wires...there are several...any one will do) is orange

I'd go ahead and run a good solid ground from the dash to the battery, too. I know you say it didn't affect this particular situation, but it'll save headaches down the road. I ran one to a bus bar underneath inside where it stays dry...ground the paint down nice and shiny...slathered the back with dielectric

I tried rotating it but to no avail. I have the dash off/ish, and it's super dirty. I'm going to clean it up with some electrical degreaser and I'll try again. Looking it up it's a cheap part so I'll probably replace it.

For reference I'm testing a grounded 2 wire light bulb (red/black). The ground is fine, I ran a dedicated wire from the battery and the light works. Which means I'm getting no power. I'm planning on installing a new radio too, so I'll run the ground along with that. I have to go find my multimeter but the problem definitely lies in the hotside somewhere between the switch and the bulb. Considering the wiring is in the original loom I'm guessing it's the headlight switch.

Look for damage to the loom's wrapping where the wiring goes over the steering wheel brace.
I sleeved mine in a section of hose.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks