Dash Gauge ohm headache.

Dash Gauge ohm headache.

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Hey everyone,

I am looking for any and all 2" aftermarket dash electric gauges that work with the following ohms.

My Oil pressure sensor reads:
0 ohms at low pressure and
90 ohms high pressure

My Water temperature sensor reads:
1365 ohms cold
55 ohms hot

Anyone know of an aftermarket in dash gauge that fits these requirements. (I'd prefer electric over mechanical gauges).

Thanks in advanced. (I will also contact several manufacturers to see if they can help).

:)

I assume that you are talking about the gauges that mount under the dash?
Most of them come with the correct sending unit making them pretty much a plug and play sort of setup.

I have heard of stuffing 2" gauges into the locations of the engine temp and fuel gauges, but fyi, here is a look at the oem gauge specs and repair:The new Gauge Page
For the oil pressure gauge, just about any brand will work. I got mine from Bosch. Of course you have to use the correct sending unit.

If you're looking for close to stock, you will want to get Stewart-Warner, as that's what AMC used:

Attachments

• 549d2779-6914-4437-90c7-b9e3222cc96a_zpsreic9pte.jpg
    549d2779-6914-4437-90c7-b9e3222cc96a_zpsreic9pte.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 43
Hi guys,
Thanks form your suggestions and help. :)

Hmm...Maybe I was clear as mudd in my first post. :/

I am looking for gauges that specifically work with the OEM GM gen 1 vin Z senders for my engine swap in the little jeep cj.

I know auto meter gauges work with their own sensors but I am hoping to find aftermarket gauges that work with the OEM chevy blazer (gen 1) coolant temp and oil pressure sensors so I don't have to tee in the aftermarket sensors, and add wire and terminals etc. (According to my service manual both the oil pressure sensor and coolant sensors send information to the ECM and are needed. Otherwise, I would gave just pulled the stock senders and installed auto meter's.

Also, I figure it would be a lot easier and cleaner in the engine bay and under the dash to find aftermarket gauges that work with my stock/OEM Chevy s10 blazer senders. :)

I emailed Bosch, auto meter, jegs and several other manufacturers and aftermarket parts stores to see if they sell/manufacture Any such gauges and ALL of them say 'no'. And that I have to use the aftermarket sensors and gauges. :( And so, I suggested that they invent gauges that work directly with the GM (gen 1) and 4.3 v6 sensors. This would make engine swaps waaaaaaaayyyyyyy easier. ;)

In the mean time,
I DO have the auto meter oil pressure and coolant temp gauge as well as their semders that I had to tee into my.oil pressure port since the ohms on the OEM senders and aftermarket sensors are waaaayyyyy different.
I then cut the upper radiator hose to install a adapter for the coolant sensor. (I originally had a tee fitting on the passenger side coolant port but the headers made it a tight fit).

Also, what do I do with the original sender wires that originally went to the back of the gauge? Just leave unplugged and cap off? Then run new wires from my aftermarket sender to aftermarket gauge?

Thanks guys form the help!

Last edited:
Also, what do I do with the original sender wires that originally went to the back of the gauge? Just leave unplugged and cap off? Then run new wires from my aftermarket sender to aftermarket gauge?
I have 100% AutoMeter gauges in my 76 CJ5 with a Ford 5.0L engine. Other than the oil pressure gauge, which is mechanical, they all use the existing wires of the 76 harness. IIRC, I may have had to change out a couple of the terminals, but no big deal. And using the OEM harness makes trouble shooting easier (less wires to 'figure out').

I have 100% AutoMeter gauges in my 76 CJ5 with a Ford 5.0L engine. Other than the oil pressure gauge, which is mechanical, they all use the existing wires of the 76 harness. IIRC, I may have had to change out a couple of the terminals, but no big deal. And using the OEM harness makes trouble shooting easier (less wires to 'figure out').

Hi Hackfab,

Thanks for your response.
I am using the entire (except rear harness) harness from the s10 blazer so its quite different. ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks