Diff Dana 20 solid axle seal

Differentials
Diff Dana 20 solid axle seal

407-loco

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7
I noticed my passenger axel is leaking was hoping it was the brakes but not that lucky. Does anyone know of a seal so that the bearing can be an oil bath. I was unaware that it was a packed bearing on the rea axles. Being that it's such a pain to pull and get to just to service the bearing.

Plan on doing a gear change out so I'm probably going to let it leak for the time.

Is it leaking oil, meaning diff oil, or just bearing grease coming out? If diff oil, you have an inner seal (in the diff) and an outer seal (behind the bearing) both leaking. If it's bearing grease, then your outer seal is the culprit. You'll need to pull the axle and remove the bearing to change that seal.

I'm not aware of any "oil bath" option for the bearing, meaning no option for the diff oil to come out the axle tubes to the ends to bathe the bearings.

No it's gear oil. Might have to rethink this Dana 20. Is there an option to replace with that's a normal style bearing setup.

No it's gear oil. Might have to rethink this Dana 20. Is there an option to replace with that's a normal style bearing setup.
Different axle. I'm not aware of any option for the Dana 20 that changes the "packed bearing" setup. I swapped my whole axle for a Dana489. Been very happy with it.
Axle Swap Thread

The 498 is similar to a Dana 44, just larger diameter axle tubes and shafts. So similar setup with packed bearings.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks