D44 inner oil seal

D44 inner oil seal

cglax6

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ5, 351w, Ford T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires
All,

continuing my rear axle project and I'm at another stopping point. I pulled the carrier in the diff housing, and there were no oil seals...hence why my axle tubes were filled with diff oil.

For the life of me, I cannot find the correct oil seals for the inside of the diff housing. Everywhere I go, even NAPA, they give me an oil seal that is too small. Even though it says in ER oil seal.

The wrong part is National 481837

I have a 76 CJ5, but it has a Dana 44 rear. We looked up other years and still not coming up with the right size. Has anyone replaced these seals that might have a part number?

Also, when I pulled my axles, there was an oil seal pressed in about 4 inches into the tube, so butting up against the bearing retainer. The part I listed is the same seal as what was in the tube, but I don't think this is the right application. Everything I've seen, including my FSM, shows oil seals on the inside of the diff housing.

I need help!

We replaced these in our Dana 44 which came out of a 72 and replaced the AMC20 that came with the jeep. We are presently working on our CJ and will look up what we got in a little bit. Sorry for the delay, but trying to get ready for the Moab trail ride.

We replaced these in our Dana 44 which came out of a 72 and replaced the AMC20 that came with the jeep. We are presently working on our CJ and will look up what we got in a little bit. Sorry for the delay, but trying to get ready for the Moab trail ride.
Thank you!!!

Sent via Google translate using braille through Tapatalk

No inner seals on a rear 44.
Only seals are near the outer bearing, not the R&P

My TSM says otherwise. I'll order the seals that Bass posted and see if they fit. There's a spot for them outboard of the carrier bearings.
c717a4429efc7815fac26e50ff70b13a.jpg

Your looking at a front 44 not rear 44.
What your manual says is the inner seals go in the front not the rear.

Gotcha...so none needed for the rear? It allows oil to run into the tube. No issues with that?

Yes, and it will lube the bearings.

As it was explained to me, there i no inner ealin a rear axle so that some oil will make it's way out the tube to lube the outer bearings. Made sense to me. The outer seal keeps te oil in and dirt out.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

I now remember what I was thinking of...............I think :rolleyes:. On our 59 CJ5, we used a 74 or 75 Dana 44 which we picked up with a Dana 30 at a salvage yard for next to nothing. The Dana 44 had locking hubs which were lubricated by the differential gear oil. I was relatively new to the Jeep world back then, and someone on the forum told me that I could put seals between the differential and the outer bearing. That way I could pack the bearings with grease just like the front axle, and the diff would be lubricated separately with the gear oil. I liked that idea in the event I had to pull the lock out hubs apart for some reason.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks