D300 not shifting

D300 not shifting

truk820

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, Iron Duke 151, SR4 transmission
Having some problems shifting my D300 twin stick. All of the shift patterns I see indicate, from the front position to rear position, L - N - H for both axles.

The rear, left shifter, won't budge. I believe it's all the way back, indicating it's in H. I've dug around in previous posts and dried unlocking the hubs, budging a foot or two forward and in reverse and trying again, shifting at a few MPH...nothing. Won't move.

The front axle (right shifter) WILL shift, but only one position forward. Here's the funny thing though: I took the shifter boot off and can see the axles engage, and with the stick pulled ALL THE WAY BACK, which I believe would put it in 4WH, the front axle is NOT engaged. This leads me to believe I'm running in 2WH (left shifter back, in rear H, right shifter not engaged, in N). When I push the right stick forward the front axle engages and it gets boggish, which I think indicates it is in 4WL.

So two questions:
1. How can I get everything to shift??
2. Why is the front axle, when pulled all the way back, in N and not in H? Could I potentially have a different shift pattern or different Xfer case?

Post a picture of the rear/back of your t'case.
"We" can tell you what model it is.
Also-Post a picture of the shift pattern on the old shift lever.
If you are run'n a SR-4 it should be a D300 t'case.
LG

Be very careful with a twin stick. If the rear one is stuck in high and you shift the front into low, Bad things will happen inside your T-case! Are you sure the stick isnt hitting anything? Make sure the pivot nut/bolt arent too tight

I'm heading out of town tonight but will post a pic on Monday. From what it looks like everything is out of the way of the sticks. I'll check the nut/bolt tightness as well.

I never removed the pills in my 20, so the rear has to be in whatever gear I wan to put the front in first... Not sure if D300 is "unlocked" as soon as you twin stick, or if it's like the 20 and modification is necessary.

Truk820-That's a 300.
LG

Thanks for the info guys. Still working on this one...that left shifter will not budge. I'm trying to figure out why I'm running such high RPMs and going so slow in first gear and thought maybe I was in 2WL, but can't shift it into anything else to try.

Is there a way to 'unfreeze' this thing? Do I have to take it apart to do so?

:censored:

Try having a buddy from underneath either pry with a bar or tap with a mallet on the shift rods while you are pushing and pulling on the stick to help free it up. Sounds like the rod(s) is frozen. If you do need to take it all apart, you might as well rebuild it because you will have it about 1/2 apart to get the rods out.

If I'm reading your first post correctly your left stick (rear axle) won't move, your right stick (front axle) has L N H.

Is the left stick fully engaged or stuck between gears?

Your gears could be clashing or the linkage binding not allowing the rails to engage.

Being the left stick is stuck could you post pics of the t-case rails when your right stick in the rear most position and forward most position.

"2. Why is the front axle, when pulled all the way back, in N and not in H?"
It's possible the linkage is binding and won't allow the rail to pull out fully to engage H.

I would remove the linkage and shift the rails by hand to see if you can engage L N H

That's correct, my left stick (rear axle) won't move, and right (front axle) has L N H.

The left stick is fully engaged - no sounds, grinding, etc. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Are there any instructions or threads that detail how to remove the linkage and shift rails?

The shift rails protrude from the t-case, there is no need to remove them at this point.
Twin stick 300 are not factory so you'll have to take a look to see how yours are configured.

factory setup

4d1298401773-d300-shifter-linkage-bushing-100_7914.jpg
my twin stick 300

DSCN3290.png

Alright...just put in an hour or so trying to get this thing to shift and no luck. The right (front axle) shifter will only come as far back as to get it into N, but it will engage all the way towards the front into L.

The left (rear axle) will not budge, and I think it's stuck in L. I'm not sure how much to read into it but the rear shifter knob is forwards moreso than the front axle shifter.

I attached some pictures as well. I tried getting underneath and tapping with a mallet while someone tried to shift, tried to pry it (really tough to get enough leverage for this to be effective), and no luck. What else can I do??

In the attached pictures the right side is the rail for the rear axle and the left the front. Anything look suspicious?

3yP0bmk.png

And from the top:

1Jy3jc6.png

Take a measurement from the end of the shift rails to the seal cover. Mine in neutral is 2 3/16"

Will do. Are you running a similar twin stick setup as me? And should those measurements be the same for both axles / rails?

For what it's worth, the distance the front axle shifter moves is an inch, maybe an inch and a half, between all the way forward (L) and N. Does that seem right?

Yes, from neutral the shift rails should move forward and back about an inch each way. My twin stick is a bit different, no adjustable linkage below and straight sticks through the floor. Ive never seen your type in person, but if you suspicion your stuck in low, yours are way out of adjustment. As far back as they are (at least by the pic ;) ) I would think they are both in 4H

attachment.php

You can just see my shifters, it's in 2 low at this point

I'll need to measure tonight but I'm 100% sure that the front axle is in N (I can spin the shaft to the front axle freely), and with the rear axle shifter as far forward as it is (moreso than the front shifter) I'm thinking it's possible it's stuck in 2L.

In the event that it is bound up, how do I un-bind it? Would jacking the rear up to move things around help? Or would this require disassembly?

Ok...just measured and the front axle in N is 2 3/16", same as yours. The rear axle is 2". This leads me to believe I may, in fact, be in L.

I jacked up all the tires to 'unbind' it, went from F to R, turned the wheels...nothing. Still won't budge at all. What are my options here? Anything else I can try???

Frustrated over here. :mad:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks