Custom Axe & Shovel rack

Custom Axe & Shovel rack

dave pam

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Sahara, dana 30 F. dana 35 R. stock tranny, 4.0 automatic, stock transfer case.
This is the start to finish rack system.
th_100_1370.jpg
th_100_1371.jpg
th_100_1372.jpg
th_100_1373.jpg
th_100_1374.jpg
th_100_1377.jpg
th_100_1378.jpg
Sorry if it is hard to see but if some one wants more detail pic's I can do that, I think it will look better when the top is off:chug:

Looks good. Looks like you used 1" thin wall square tubing, mounted it across the roll bar legs with U-bolts, and used some sort of rubber clamping thing to hold the shovel and axe.

Where did you get the rubber clamping things?

Have you seen signs of too much stress on the tubing or mounts caused by the weight of the axe and shovel twisting around as they get shaken while driving?

i mounted my rack on the passenger side wheel weel, but i have a CJ7 so it's slightly longer. i used clamps meant for use on an atv. they have securing straps and seem to work well.

Looks good. Looks like you used 1" thin wall square tubing, mounted it across the roll bar legs with U-bolts, and used some sort of rubber clamping thing to hold the shovel and axe.

Where did you get the rubber clamping things?

Have you seen signs of too much stress on the tubing or mounts caused by the weight of the axe and shovel twisting around as they get shaken while driving?

You are right with the 1" square stock (Home Depot, 48" long), 2 1/2" U-bolts 1/2" thread size, I tried the rubber spray paint, its the stuff they sell in the can you can dunk your plier handles in, it's ok I think it will collect dirt & dust fast, NO stress cracks and I used a mig welder and it is very solid (we went sunday for about 5 hours wheeling) The clamps I got from Cabela's, they are "Quick Grips" $8.00 a pair and they are made specificly for that application, if you don't have a Cabela's store they have a web site.

I did find out this weekend that with the top on it was a pain in the a s s to get stuff from the back, had to climb over the thing. I am in the process of changing it to hinge open in the same direction as the tail gate. I picked up some parts tonight and will put a finished pic up soon.
:chug:

i mounted my rack on the passenger side wheel weel, but i have a CJ7 so it's slightly longer. i used clamps meant for use on an atv. they have securing straps and seem to work well.

You most likely have the same one's I used. I had to make it out of the way due to it's my wifes Jeep and she wants it keept looking normal:notworthy:, so we compermised:rolleyes:

Got a Picture?

For thoes following this project, I have hinged the unit and will post the finished product after I finish the paint and latch system.:chug:

Ok finished & hinged
th_100_1394.jpg
I used a 5/8 bolt and welded it to the extension I added, it fits just like the door pins for easy removal
th_100_1397.jpg
th_100_1396.jpg
th_100_1398.jpg:chug:

No, so far so good. I hate rattling, it drives me nuts. I did add a nylon washer on the hinge side and when I drilled the hole for the pin I made sure it was tight enough.

I did use the new "Rubber" spray paint that home depot sells, it's like the stuff you would dip your handle of your tools in to rubber coat them, only it comes in a spray version, maybe that helped.

Dave

Nice! I had planned on mounting my HiLift jack in the same place, but it's just not working out too well. Sonya the Wonder Dog hits her head on it when she jumps into the Jeep.

as anyone considered using surplus military pioneering tool racks? they make 2 versions one is a standard unit that fits just about anything that you can bolt it to. the 2nd one was designed to fit under the rear of the HUMVEE and is light weight and hinged.They range between $35.00 for the standard, up to $100.00 for the HUMVEE version.

Attachments

• tool rack standard.jpg
    tool rack standard.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • TM-9-2320-280-10_177_2.jpg
    TM-9-2320-280-10_177_2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,964
  • TM-9-2320-280-10_176_1.jpg
    TM-9-2320-280-10_176_1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,442
as anyone considered using surplus military pioneering tool racks? they make 2 versions one is a standard unit that fits just about anything that you can bolt it to. the 2nd one was designed to fit under the rear of the HUMVEE and is light weight and hinged.They range between $35.00 for the standard, up to $100.00 for the HUMVEE version.

With tools mounted down this low, I can see needing a shovel to get to the shovel.:cool:

just go online and search for( military pioneering tool rack) and results for the standard one will be plentiful from surplus suppliers, but have only found one supplier for the hummer type. will get the name of supplier and post it on this thread

Cheepjeep85 here are 2 suppliers of the tool rack--Coleman Military Surplus --they carry the humvee fold down tool rack for 99.00(look in thier misc militaria gallery) The other supplier is Saturn Surplus they have the standard tool rack listed on page 4 of the M35 parts list. Sometimes you can find them on E-BAY:patriot:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks