Convoy to 6th Annual Trail Ride

Convoy to 6th Annual Trail Ride

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
#1 - 1977 CJ-7 Renegade (Daisy Jane), Levis trim, 304, TH400, BW1339 (MM), D30/Auburn Max, AMC20/Trac-Lok/G2's, 4.88's, 33" BFG MT KM2's, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Sniper 4bbl EFI, MSD6, MSD ProBillet distributor, OME shocks, 4" ProComp lift.

#2 - 1984 CJ-7 Laredo (The Texas Hooker Project - Incomplete/Undecided)
I wanted to make a little thread so that those of us who are fortunate enough to be headed to the Silverton / Ouray area in August can upload our trip TO the area.

Posi and his friend Rad are flying in to Denver on the 10th, then heading down to BillD's in Colorado Springs to do some prep work on Posi's new CJ to get it ready for the trails.

I am leaving Thursday night and flat-towing to Columbia, MO then on in to Colorado Springs on Friday. Shooby is leaving Lincoln, NE on Friday morning and headed in as well. We are all meeting up Friday night August 12th and BillD is buying all of us dinner and drinks at MacKenzie's Chop House...:poke:

Okay, the last part of the last sentence is completely false...:D

Saturday morning we (myself, Posi, BillD, shooby) are going to head down 115 to US 50 just east of Canon City, then head west on the gorgeous US-50 along the Arkansas River to Salida, then start heading up towards the Continental Divide via Monarch Pass.

After heading back down from Monarch Pass, we will pass by (for what seems like forever) the Blue Mesa Reservoir in the Curecanti National Recreational Area. This route will take us into Gunnison, then on into Montrose, CO. Montrose will mark the end of chain restaurants and stores :D

We will then head down 550 into Ouray (where my wife and I are staying) and then on south along the Million Dollar Highway section of 550 and across Red Mountain Pass and down into Silverton.

JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR - this thread is NOT Limited to us - anyone headed to the area for the trail ride - please post your travels on here as you go - please!

See you soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: `

Bill D is kind enough to pick up my cousin and I at the Denver airport Wednesday morning.

I also just setup a Twitter account for the trail ride - @JeepCJTrailRide for those of you who might want to follow...

Last edited:
Is everyone driving their Jeeps? Or are some going to tow to Silverton.

It may be Saturday morning before I know for sure. Much has to be accomplished between Wednesday afternoon and Friday night for either to happen.

We are planning on leaving Thursday morning. Not yet sure if we will go through Denver and on to Silverton via Grand Junction, or if we will head there via Colorado Springs. We will probably decide once we are on the road. Our intention is to get there a day early, tent camp in Silverton and wander around the area for a day before meeting up with everyone Saturday night.

I'm having a great start to my vacation. My flight left Boston at 7:30 I found out at 7:25 my daughter in-law gave birth to a new baby girl. Pictures came in when I landed in Denver she is beautiful!!

Anyways Bill D, Rad are having a cold one at Castle Rock.

If I couldn't FaceTime I wouldn't have made the trip.

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a great start to my vacation. My flight left Boston at 7:30 I found out at 7:25 my daughter in-law gave birth to a new baby girl. Pictures came in when I landed in Denver she is beautiful!!

Anyways Bill D, Rad are having a cold one at Castle Rock.

If I couldn't FaceTime I wouldn't have made the trip.[/quote
Congratulations grampa! :chug: First one??

Got a late start this morning but we are on our way. My fault as usual… 🛣

Problems… heard a loud noise like a tire blew. Lost power. Turns out we blew a hose off the turbo intercooler. Limped to a dealer and bought the clamp we lost.
e755363e54378b9a069d9fbad8f17bcc.jpg

Back on the road again.. hope for the best

Fingers are crossed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe we are not meant to go, now having problems with the trailer brakes coming on with the turn signals. We are in Platteville, WI

I think we need a new brake controller. We'll try and get one.

Problems… heard a loud noise like a tire blew. Lost power. Turns out we blew a hose off the turbo intercooler. Limped to a dealer and bought the clamp we lost.
e755363e54378b9a069d9fbad8f17bcc.jpg

Back on the road again.. hope for the best

My 350 did that while I was towing band trailer to disneyland earlier this year for Kid's band trip.

I luckily did not loose the clamp, but took me about an hour, some 2nd degree burns, and a bit of simple green and papertowels to get it back on myself at a truckstop.

Pesky little boogers...

:chug:

Hang in there guys it will all be worth it when you get to Silverton.
Dumped the fluid in the engine, trans, tcase, OD, and both diffs.
Found out I have optional 4:88 gears.
Also found a small crack in the frame, not bad and not a problem area.
Installed top and bottom hoses and new antifreeze
Cracked alternator tab that I will JB weld
Hole in the vac advance canister diaphragm
New plugs installed, new ignition wires ordered and will pick up on the next parts run.
Didn't like how the fuel looked and wanted to clean the tank good so it's now sitting on the garage floor
Found a couple vac leak to repair and clean up the wiring
Not much left in the clutch I'll adjust it then make a decision on installing a new one.
I found the heater core leaking on Bill D's CJ pulling that out now.
Bill D and Carol are such nice folks and taking good care of us.

Woo-Hoo!! Can't wait for Silverton!!

I think we need a new brake controller. We'll try and get one.
We fixed it. We bought a new controller, but still had a short between the brake wire and right turn signal. Cut everything apart and eventually found the short. Returned the controller and wired everything back. Having all those tools and my bag of electrical stuff was put to use. In Farley, IA now.

What a mess
b55f57dc35095bf460e41dd1a6c849eb.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks