Column Bearing and Steering Shaft Coupler

Column Bearing and Steering Shaft Coupler

My79CJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ-7, straight 6, dana 20
First Post, go easy virgin jeep owner/mechanic.

As the new owner of a 79 CJ 7, I knew there was going to be work that needed to be done to this relic. I've been researching and trying to find a video or step by step instructions on how to replace my column bearing and steering shaft coupler. Unfortunately I have not had much success. There are plenty of parts diagrams out there and neither Chiltons or Hayes manuals seem to help. Outside of replacing the steering stabilizer this is my first minor/major project (depending on your level of expertise). If anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance
Mark :confused:

First Post, go easy virgin jeep owner/mechanic.

As the new owner of a 79 CJ 7, I knew there was going to be work that needed to be done to this relic. I've been researching and trying to find a video or step by step instructions on how to replace my column bearing and steering shaft coupler. Unfortunately I have not had much success. There are plenty of parts diagrams out there and neither Chiltons or Hayes manuals seem to help. Outside of replacing the steering stabilizer this is my first minor/major project (depending on your level of expertise). If anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance
Mark :confused:

Is this a tilt steering column? I used to have a great write up on a rebuild but its not hosted anywhere anymore.

How about this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D30DpLZz-xb8&ei=-N7FUoCwOK_gsATFxoGgDQ&usg=AFQjCNEVRLF5m6L5Vbqktpust9a9AMlHwA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.cWc

You should have the stock GM steering column in your Jeep. You should be able t source anything you need from them :chug:

Thanks for the help, I just ordered the service manual and am also sourcing the stock GM steering columns.

Yes it is also tilt steer.

Your gonna need a lock plate removal tool and a pivot pin removal tool. The pivot pin tool can be picked up at Autozone. I had to order it but it was less then $20 and took just a day or two to get in. Ill look for the post that I got my info from but it was very easy to rebuild. Make sure when you put it all back together that you use red lock tight on the 4 screws that hold the pivot seat to the column.

I had no idea about the pivot pin and the plate removal tool. I removed the steering wheel this morning then tried to remove the retainer ring, which I see would be next to impossible without the compressor tool (which I'm guessing is the plate removal tool?), I then stared at it for about 5 minutes before I came inside and found this site for the removal of a stock GM steering wheel.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

As far as the red lock tight, I would never have used it.

I'm glad I rechecked my thread this morning and did the search.

Thanks Jimbo :chug:

The first one I did made me want to puke.. by the third they have become easy. I actually have one in the garage I need to find the time to rebuild for a buddy. Glad I could provide a little helpful info.

Well I replaced the shaft with a HD shaft and replaced all the bearings. Everything went back together sort of ok.... My issue now is i cant get the lock beyond the point that I need to put the retainer ring back in.

Any Suggestions?

There is a compressor tool used to push that plate down to install the retainer ring. You might be able to locate one at an auto parts. There should be some more info on the www to help you along.

Edit: Did some quick research, It is called a steering wheel lock ring removal tool. Plus this:http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

I hope I don't have to remove mine anymore as the lock ring retainer area is about shot, good luck.

Last edited:
I used the lock plate remover tool to compress the lock plate and spring but once it reaches a certain point I can't turn it anymore and I'm afraid of damaging the lock plate.

It almost seems like the shaft is recesed further back from when I originaly removed everything.

when the plate bottoms out thats it. the retaining ring only sits in a small groves. Can you post a pic of the problem area if you havent got it fixed yet?

I'm back, had to put the jeep on hold for about a week. I did figure out that the outer race to the upper bearing was stopping me from getting the new bearing to seat properly. I removed the race, put the new bearing in place thinking it would solve my problem............... It didn't. If Im not mistaken, the order of parts should be

upper bearing
trust washer
spring
canceling cam
lock plate
steering shaft snap ring

at least thats the order I put everything in. With the spring in place the lock plate tool still will not compress the lock plate down far enough to put snap ring in. without the spring in place, everything goes together great. Is the spring a must??

Problem number 2, the inner race to the upper bearing wants to keep sliding up the shaft. I put the bearing back in the way the old one came out. Any thoughts on that??

I will take some pics of what I'm doing and try to get them posted. Not sure if I could post a video or not. It might be a little easier to understand.

What condition is your lower bearing in? When I did mine the lower bearing was in pretty bad shape and it was full of dirt due to its exposure. I did tape up the lower end to prevent dirt from getting in. I don't remember any of the other issues you are having, but I agree that pics could help or just keep playing with it. I think you should reinstall that spring.

Hey I think I did the same thing once, turns out I had the upper bearing cup upside down..they call it the thrust washer in the manual..maybe same issue.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks