Clutch/pilot bearing

Clutch/pilot bearing

Bjs29

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj5, GM 4cyl sr4
So, I have a 1980 CJ5 4 cyl with the sr4 trans. I'm currently in the middle of installing a new clutch kit and I've ran into an issue. The new pilot bearing and the old one do not match. But, I'm not sure the old one is even correct. I bought this jeep with a clutch issue, and once I got home began to install the new clutch. The old pilot bearing that came out has a bigger o. d. And I. D. The I. D. Of the old one is too big for the trans shaft which is why I don't think it's correct. The new bearing I. D. Fits the shaft as it should, but the o. d. Is to small to replace the old one. It's almost as if I need the 2 combined (o. D. Of the old one, I. D. Of the new one) my question would be, does anyone know for sure what bearing is correct? I'm going to include a picture of the 2 bearings. And no, the smaller one doesn't fit inside the larger one.

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_113707.jpg
    IMG_20190406_113707.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 31
:ww::dbanana::banana:

Who's 'kit' is this?
Sure hope it ain't Omix/Alda.......
What was this 'clutch issue' you speak of? :confused:
LG

I bought the "kit" at the local parts store. It's a new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and clutch. The rest of the parts that came with the kit match the old parts. The pilot bearing is the only difference. The new one from the kit fits the transmission but it's too small (od doesn't match is of the old one) but the old one has an id that's way too big for transmission shaft. (which is why I think someone put the wrong one in)

The issue was that it wouldn't go into gear/clutch didn't work. The clutch pedal had no pressure behind it. I replaced the slave cylinder first, which gave me more pedal pressure, but still wouldn't go into gear. So then I decided to go ahead and replace all of the clutch components. But, after taking the old one out, I ran into this pilot bearing conundrum. So, I was hoping someone had some pictures, or some specific dimensions etc so that I can figure this out and get it on the road again.

Was it a LUK or Centerforce kit?
Never had an issue with them.
I don't trust 'kits' from others.
Take your old p'bearing back to that store with the old clutch parts and have them ck their stock.
Did you replace the clutch master cyl when you replaced the slave?
Are you using DOT 3 brake fluid?
Get your calipers out and measure your old p'bearings ID, OD and thickness.
LG

I am using dot3. I did not replace the master. I have t put the clutch back in yet cause I don't have the correct pilot bearing. The picture I attached to the first post may help explain what I'm saying. The larger bearing (pictured on right) is the one that came out of the jeep. The one on the left in the picture is the one that came with the clutch kit. Missie is this: the old pilot bearing outside diameter fits.. But the inside diameter is too large for the trans shaft. The new bearing that came with the kit has the correct inside diameter for the trans shaft.. But it's outside diameter is too small. Basically, the I need a bearing that has an outside diameter of the old bearing and an inside diameter of the new one. (in theory anyways).. So I was asking if anyone had some specific numbers on this particular bearing.

Your link says "Not for 1980 CJ5"
Try this link...........https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...95aa5b47/1980/jeep/cj5?q=Clutch+Pilot+Bushingnside Diameter (In): 9/16 Inch
Inside Diameter (mm): 15.037mm
Outside Diameter (In): 1-1/16 Inch
Outside Diameter (mm): 26.848mm
These are the measurements compare them to what you have....

The one in the oreillys link is the one that came with my kit. I checked all the dimensions. And the one that came in my kit fits the transmission shaft. My issue is.. The bigger one that I pulled out of it (in the picture). Does this actually have 2? The bigger one go in front (trans side) of the smaller one that came with the kit? The bigger one id does not fit the shaft. But could the shaft run through it then into the one that actually fits? Doesn't make slot of sense to me where the bigger one came from or how it is used. But it's the one that came out of the jeep. But it definitely doesn't match the one from the kit.

When I did the clutch on our 59 CJ5, there were so many different components used that nothing from a standard parts supplier worked. I ended up measuring the OD, ID, and depth, then just looked one up on someplace like JEGS, or Ram Clutches based on the measurements.

Is there a second bearing in these? The bearing that came with the kit will work, but the larger bearing is my issue. Does it go between the pilot bearing and the drive plate?

Most of the kits I have purchased do come with at least 2 pilot bearings. I have a collection of them somewhere! :D Only one is used.

Weird! When I click on either link, it brings up the same bearing! :confused:
LOL, yeah that is weird. I'm getting two different part #s.
Both have the same I.D [9/16] but my link shows a different O.D. 1 1/16 vs 1 1/8.
No wonder the OP is having a hard time finding parts.

Does anyone know if there is a larger second bearing here? The bearing that came with the kit will work. But the larger bearing that came out of the jeep is what's confusing me. Does it also go back in after the pilot bearing? By simply sticking. My fingers in there, the new pilot bearing has place. And then it seems like it opens up wide enough for this second bearing (the one that came out) so does anyone know if there is another bearing after the pilot bearing goes in?

LOL, yeah that is weird. I'm getting two different part #s.
Both have the same I.D [9/16] but my link shows a different O.D. 1 1/16 vs 1 1/8.
No wonder the OP is having a hard time finding parts.
Ya, the wife has already given me the go ahead to look for a metal lathe. This is one of those problems that would then be easily solved by just making my own. The 59 ended up with a pilot bearing from an AMX, even though the engine I used was a Buick.

AMC Jeep = mongrel mixed breed mutt. Seems like jeep used parts from any one they could buy them from.

Does anyone know if there is a larger second bearing here? The bearing that came with the kit will work. But the larger bearing that came out of the jeep is what's confusing me. Does it also go back in after the pilot bearing? By simply sticking. My fingers in there, the new pilot bearing has place. And then it seems like it opens up wide enough for this second bearing (the one that came out) so does anyone know if there is another bearing after the pilot bearing goes in?

No only one is used. The pilot bearing is a press fit and is pressed in until flush with the crank. I believe AMC and GM had 4 Cyl's in those years, so you will need to know which one you have to get the correct bearing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks