Clutch help

Clutch help

BrockGrimes

Jeep-CJ.com Archive Master
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
ON THE HUNT AGAIN
As you know I recently rebuilt my trans and t-case.
I installed poly trans mount and motor mount, so now I notice more noise.
But now I hear something from I believe the clutch that sounds like a cicada/locust, clutch chatter?
The old mechanical clutch linkage was alot longer. I had to adjust the new linkage way in to make it rest on the clutch release fork.

The instructions that came with the clutch say hold the brake, put it in 3rd, give it gas and dump the clutch. It should stall in 2 -3 sec. If adjsuted properly. Mine does.

It says to put it in neutral and release the clutch and you should be able to put it in 1st. Not happening.

I do notice once in awhile a slight gear grind when shifting to 1st or reverse with the clutch mashed.

Also notice when I slip the clutch it sounds like sand paper, never heard the clutch before.

It's a bowden/beck pressure plate.

Thoughts?
How can I check to see if it's adjusted properly?

As you know I recently rebuilt my trans and t-case.
I installed poly trans mount and motor mount, so now I notice more noise.
But now I hear something from I believe the clutch that sounds like a cicada/locust, clutch chatter?
The old mechanical clutch linkage was alot longer. I had to adjust the new linkage way in to make it rest on the clutch release fork.

The instructions that came with the clutch say hold the brake, put it in 3rd, give it gas and dump the clutch. It should stall in 2 -3 sec. If adjsuted properly. Mine does.

It says to put it in neutral and release the clutch and you should be able to put it in 1st. Not happening.

I do notice once in awhile a slight gear grind when shifting to 1st or reverse with the clutch mashed.

Also notice when I slip the clutch it sounds like sand paper, never heard the clutch before.

It's a bowden/beck pressure plate.

Thoughts?
How can I check to see if it's adjusted properly?
Sounds like the clutch is adjust way to far in.

Technically speaking - there is a gap that you are supposed to measure between the pressure plate and the disk when the clutch is engaged. It's a pain in the butt to do though.

Pull the access cover, press the clutch in and use feeler gauges to measure the gap. Then adjust the linkage until the gap is correct.

Personally I just adjust the clutch by feel. I just adjust it to where I like the release and then make sure the return point is out far enough so the thorow out bearing isn't contacting the pressure plate when not engaged.

Yeah, it kind of sounds like the throw out bearing is in contact. Let the reigns out a bit!

So I need to make the rod pressing on the clutch release lever longer?
Right now it's adjust just long enough to maintain contact with it.

When I first press the clutch pedal in it feels like just spring resistance, before it feels like it's doing any work.

YEP!!! Sorry about that!

I see the linkage as being too long! Not to short!

If it is too short, that is a big problem also. You need to adjust it so the release is a the top of the stroke and the bearing is not turning when the clutch is not in engagement... :)

Well I made it longer, the noise went away.
Only had to adjust it about 1/4" longer.
Shifts fine sounds good. The thing that throws me off
is the sound of the clutch slipping as I let it out.
I guess that's because of the poly mounts.

It I make it to long when pressed all the way it starts making a terrible
sound, if I adjust it to short it sounds like a cicada/locust right between the two,
I get no sounds and it runs great. So hopefully I got it adjusted properly.

It grabs so good in 1st it's taking me some time to get use to finding ther right amount of
gas to take off. My old clutch slipped alot and would take a little gas.
This grabs and needs alot of gas.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks