Clutch Clutch adjustment

1980cj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ5, 258, T176, D300, AMC20,
'72 CJ5, 232, T15, D20, D44, D30
'81 CJ5 parts jeep
Quick question, If I adjust the clutch linkage will it change the disengagement/engagement point of the pedal? Or will it only adjust the free play in the clutch pedal?

My clutch is engaging and disengaging closer to the top of the pedal. I want to put the disengagement/engagement point closer to the middle of pedal travel.

Thank you in advance

Yes and no. Depends on how much slop is in linkage its self. By adjusting the rod at the clutch fork it will change the where the pedal engages the clutch (close or further from the floor). The ideal is an air gap of 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the pressure plate and release bearing. If all is tight in the linkage that should put the release point about mid travel of the pedal. An air gap is needed to prevent early failure of release bearing.

How much pedal freeplay do you have now?
Gary

Adjust it to what feels good to you. Some like it near the top, Some like it down a little. Just make sure that the pressure plate completely disengages when you push the pedal. The more free play you have, The more often you will have to adjust.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks