Cleaning Transfer case and Transmission.

Cleaning Transfer case and Transmission.

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
I have both the transmission and transfer case out of my Jeep I was wondering if it’s safe to wash them with either a pressure washer or garden hose. I’m concerned about water getting in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the transmission and transfer case out of my Jeep I was wondering if it’s safe to wash them with either a pressure washer or garden hose. I’m concerned about water getting in

Do you plan on tearing them down for a full rebuild or just cleaning them up?

I pressure wash them every time I have one out! A little water might get in but this is the prefect time to install new seal & gaskets! You need to change the oil anyway.
Freshly painted is MUCH easier to put back in than one coated in slime. Do it right the first time! You will thank yourself later.

Places that water can get in are, for the transmission, input and output shafts, and the shifter. Transfer case depends on whether you separated it from the transmission. Best to leave them mated if you are going to pressure them. Then you only have to worry about the output shaft on the T case, the plugs over the shifter detent balls, and the vent tube. When I wash these parts, I just put a heavy plastic bag over the shafts and shifter held on with several large rubber bands, and avoid direct pressure in those areas.

Do you plan on tearing them down for a full rebuild or just cleaning them up?

I do plan on rebuilding them. But not for a while. Financially don’t have the money for the kits right now. Was just trying to find some stuff to do while saving up the funds. Like a moron I forgot to drain the oil outta the transmission so she’s weighs a bit more now. Kalisz thought I’d clean them up.

I do plan on rebuilding them. But not for a while. Financially don’t have the money for the kits right now. Was just trying to find some stuff to do while saving up the funds. Like a moron I forgot to drain the oil outta the transmission so she’s weighs a bit more now. Kalisz thought I’d clean them up.

I wouldn't worry about the oil yet. As others have mentioned cover up shafts boots etc. I usually take like a suran wrap and wrap the shafts followed by rags and tape. Do the best you can and don't spray those areas directly. Depending how dirty they are you can let them soak with simple green.. might help loosen some of it up. You will get best results with a hot pressure water vs cold. Blow dry with air.

When you're done cleaning unwrap everything and see. If there's water then you can do a few things. I'd drain then drain the oil if you were planning on changing it. If not, something like wd40, kroil, etc will get rid of water. You can spray them directly on bearings and shaft openings which will repel water and lubricate to keep out rust. If u get a lot of water in either you can drain them and fill up the case partly with something like I mentioned above and awash it around in there and drain that out.

If you prep it good you should be just fine

I wouldn't worry about the oil yet. As others have mentioned cover up shafts boots etc. I usually take like a suran wrap and wrap the shafts followed by rags and tape. Do the best you can and don't spray those areas directly. Depending how dirty they are you can let them soak with simple green.. might help loosen some of it up. You will get best results with a hot pressure water vs cold. Blow dry with air.

When you're done cleaning unwrap everything and see. If there's water then you can do a few things. I'd drain then drain the oil if you were planning on changing it. If not, something like wd40, kroil, etc will get rid of water. You can spray them directly on bearings and shaft openings which will repel water and lubricate to keep out rust. If u get a lot of water in either you can drain them and fill up the case partly with something like I mentioned above and awash it around in there and drain that out.

If you prep it good you should be just fine

Thank you!

Spray oven cleaner works very well. Spray it, let it sit. Rinse it with water... minimal pressure, repeat. After the final rinse then hit it with pressure washer.
Tide brand laundry soap and a stiff brush does wonders too! The hotter the water, the better it works.

Thank you!

Just checking in to see how cleaning it up came out?

Just checking in to see how cleaning it up came out?

Haven’t done it yet. Time is Limited and today I spent the day trying to put the steering column back together after taking it apart to tighten the four bolts that came loose. Yeah that didn’t go as planned.

Haven’t done it yet. Time is Limited and today I spent the day trying to put the steering column back together after taking it apart to tighten the four bolts that came loose. Yeah that didn’t go as planned.

It seems like it never does for me. What should take maybe an hour or 2 ends up about a 3 day process for me lol. Keep your head up you will get it!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks