cleaning the motor

JeePHeaD

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 Cj5
232(1974?)
stocker thats ready to build!!!
so i have a leaky valve cover, oil is on the manifold right by the carb i wana get to cleaning this mess and re sealing the leak! whats the best steps to getting that gunk off the motor...degreaser and a power washer were my thoughts rapping up the cab so it dont get wet and blasing it away???? what works best as a cheap cleaner and whats the do's and dont's to this project. as for the valve cover gasket should i use one or just sealant ??? iv done alittle reading on this....its my first attempt to fix this problem and first time doing a valve cover seal any tricks:cool:

i just use gunk engine degreaser and a hose to clean mine.

i use a cheap degreaser from the dollar store and a pressure washer. as for the gasket the only way i have found to get it not to leak is to use a good gasket and put a thin layer of rtv on both side of it, be sure not to over tighten the bolts and i always wait until the rtv is dry before i start it up

I have been using a product called Super Clean, It is biodegradable and can be found at most hardware stores for @ $10 a gallon and it works great. Get the heavy stuff off first with a putty knife \ wire brush, soak with cleaner, let it sit for a while and blast away with a power washer. I would also suggest wrapping the distributor along with the carb and not directly blasting either one.
Also, if there is one in your area, do this at a self serve car wash with a oil \ water separator, there are already enough chemicals in the ground, the Aina' will thank you for it.

Bush

I use Gunk and high psi spray, at the car wash to avoid getting :dung: on my drive way.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks