Cleaning aluminum rims

Cleaning aluminum rims

drivert51

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 CJ5, 304, 3 speed
Is there an easy way to clean the scum off aluminum rims? I've tried Purple Power degreaser, engine cleaner and even sprayed a little paint stripper on them. Media blasting is not an option. Messing up the finish is not a problem because i'm going to paint them.

Attachments

• DSC_4156.jpg
    DSC_4156.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 764
  • DSC_4157.jpg
    DSC_4157.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 471
How about the GUNK engine cleaner and a brillo pad?

How about the GUNK engine cleaner and a brillo pad?
If you are going to paint them that would work. Then hit them good with a red scotch brite then wipe them down with a wax grease remover and paint them.

A 50-50 mix of white vinegar with water in a spray bottle. Mist all over aluminum wheels, let sits awhile, re-apply, then wipe with "00" steel wool. Works everytime for me.

I saw a commercial for either "Tire Spray" or "Wheel Spray" I don't remember which. Supposedly you just spray the stuff on, let it foam up and work, then hose it off with water.

I saw a commercial for either "Tire Spray" or "Wheel Spray" I don't remember which. Supposedly you just spray the stuff on, let it foam up and work, then hose it off with water.

That stuff works ok for coated wheels, it basically eats the brake dust.. I wasn't real impressed with it or the tire foam for that matter.. for tires you cannot beat Bleachwhite and a scrub brush.. leaves the blackest sidewalls and the whitest white letters you will ever see.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks